Cutlass Anne - Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Get up, lad! Time to fetch the cap'n!" Scully shouted, throwing open my door.

"It wasn't a dream," I groaned to myself.

I rolled out of bed and pulled my hair back. My back and chest hurt from the binding yesterday, but I suffered through and rebound my bosom. My clothes were still wet from the previous day, so I left on what I had worn to bed and the extra pants that Flynn had left. The fact that I had at least one friend on this ship was a relief. I stole a quick glance outside and saw the sun rising on the horizon. Beautiful shades of pink, orange, and blue covered the sky. There was not a cloud in sight. I rubbed my eyes sleepily and joined the crew on deck. The men bustled about without saying much. Flynn stood at the helm of the ship barking out orders while Scully leaned against the railing, waiting for me.

"Ready, lad?"

"Aye," I mumbled through a yawn.

"Didn't sleep well?" he asked before throwing his head back in a hearty laugh.

I scowled at him. "Not particularly, no."

"That was a rough night."

"We are still in the bay," I complained.

"You are definitely not a seafaring lad, are ye'?" Scully asked, tossing the rope ladder overboard.

"No, but I'm ready to change that."

"Yer gonna need a lot of work," he mumbled, climbing over the railing.

"I know, but I am willing to learn."

He looked down at me. "I s'pose if someone is willing to teach you the ropes, it is possible you may eventually make a good sailor one day."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," I grumbled, dropping down to the longboat.

The ride back to shore was much smoother now that the bay was not trying to eat us. I looked toward the shore, and my heart sank to the bottom of the sea. On the dock three British soldiers were talking to the captain and his men. I could feel the color draining from my face.

Unbelievable! He will send men out for me, but he won't send anyone for Jane! What a rotten man!

The captain's nostrils flared a bit, his neck bulged, and his face was beet read. The man was furious. His behavior was curious for someone who had nothing to do with the disappearance of the governor's two daughters. I watched while he crossed his arms in front of his chest and shook his head slowly as the rowboat pulled up at the dock. I tugged the floppy hat down over my eyes when the guards neared us. I did not know the soldiers' names, but they looked familiar. There was no way they would not recognize me.

"I'm tellin' ye for the last time, I 'aven't seen either of the gov'nr's daughters," Captain Henry shouted at the men.

"What about you?" one of the soldiers asked Scully as he stepped onto the dock.

"Nay. The only new person I've seen is the lad 'ere."

"Boy, where are you from?" a tall, muscular man with a very impressive mustache asked.

"North."

"Where north?"

"Charleston," I replied in as low a voice as I could.

"What are you doing in these parts?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at me.

I readjusted my hat so it was lower on my eyes. "I needed to get to a port city and join with a merchant crew."

"Why?" he pushed.

"Me parents were killed. Nobody else was around to care for me. This was the only thing I could think to do."

He must have been satisfied with my answer because he turned his attention back to the captain.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Crisis adverted.

"What have you got in that crate?"

"Cargo," Captain Henry replied.

"What sort of cargo?"

"Cargo for a buyer in the Caribbean."

The soldier was not keen on that answer; he narrowed his eyes at the men and reached for the crate.

The captain stepped forward abruptly. "I'd appreciate if ye did not bother my cargo."

"How do we know Anne isn't in there?" he questioned, stumbling backward.

"Unless she does not mind being crushed by an entire crate full of unfinished cotton, she is not in there," Captain Henry replied.

His gray eyes seemed cold and uncaring. A chill ran down my spine as I watched him. The big, hulking man who had been with him the day before was right behind him. He acted like he was an extension of the captain, like his shadow. His icy glare locked with mine. He narrowed his eyes and furrowed his brow. I looked down. I didn't want to be stuck in a staring match with him. He moved away from the captain and the guards. He stalked toward Scully and me, his stare still stuck on me.

"Boy! Yo, boy. Help ol' Scully get that crate into the rowboat."

I nodded, afraid to tell him no. I bit my lip and quietly followed the old man to the large box. I looked in disbelief at the large object. It was half as tall as and wider than I was. There was no way we would be able to carry it to the rowboat.

"Lift with yer knees, boy," Scully instructed, bending down to get a grip.

"Okay," I muttered, following suit.

I took a deep breath, and we both heaved it up. It felt like my back was going to snap and my lungs were going to explode. It was just as heavy as it was big.

"Oh, my God," I grunted, buckling under the weight.

"Some o' the cargo is heavy. You best get used to it now," he huffed.

"Uh huh." I managed to get out.

We carried the crate down the dock and tossed it into the rowboat. The captain pushed one of the soldiers to the side and stomped down the dock. He climbed in and sat in front of me, saying not a word. I felt so minuscule compared to him.

"Everythin' alright, cap'n?" Scully asked, waiting for the other men to board.

"Aye," was all he muttered.

"Ye sure?"

The man removed his large hat and swiped at his brow. "Aye," he repeated.

I kept my head down as the soldiers walked the length of the dock. They looked into the rowboat as the other crewmen climbed in. Scully tipped his hat to them and shoved off. My heart pounded in my chest. It was loud enough for everyone in the boat to hear. I was relieved that it did not take us long to reach The Gilded Lady