Cutlass Anne - Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-seven

The bed I was placed in was soft and I could feel the sun's rays heating my face. It felt so good. I had not felt the heat of the day on my body for some time. People scurried about the room, entering and leaving. I had lost track of how many there had been. Perhaps it was the same people.

"What happened?" a deep, gruff voice asked.

"She was stabbed through the abdomen."

"The bleeding was stopped?"

"Aye, I stitched as best I could." Andrew lifted my shirt so the other man could see the wound.

"It seems to be healing fine. I see no signs of infection or further bleeding."

"Then what is wrong, James? Why does she not waken?"

"I do not know," he said. "Maybe this will help."

He placed something under my nose that smelled absolutely dreadful. I could feel tears spring to my eyes, and I needed to cough. My body felt odd. It felt as though I was gaining control of it again.

How is that possible?

The smell continued as I felt my fingers begin to twitch and my toes move. My eyes fluttered slightly, and then sprang open. I sucked in a deep breath and tried to sit up.

I was back, and so was the pain.

"Captain?" Andrew asked.

"Bloody hell!"

"Are you all right?" the man with a shaggy beard asked.

"I have been trying to wake up for the past three days. What took you so long to use that stuff?" I yelled.

"I did not have any, otherwise I would have used it days ago." He hugged me.

"You are touching me, Andrew."

"I know, captain. I am so happy."

"Yes, yes. That is all well and good. Where is my sister? Where is Flynn?"

"Flynn is in the town square, and Jane is in the room next door sleeping," he said. "This is the first time she has slept since it happened."

"Let her sleep. Why is Flynn in the town square?"

"They are hanging John Jacks and his crew this afternoon."

"Help me dress. I am not missing it."

"Captain, I really do not think it is wise that you get out of bed." Andrew placed his hand on my back, trying to steady me.

"Nonsense, I am not going to miss that bastard swing in the afternoon wind." I winced as I swung my feet off the bed.

"Madam, it really is best if you stay in bed."

"I do not want to hear it, Doctor Beary."

"What if someone recognizes you?" Andrew held my arm as I stood up.

"Looking like this? I do not think anyone will think that Lady Anne is a disheveled pirate."

I grabbed the black pants that hung on the back of a chair and pulled them on. Both men turned their heads, trying to not look. I pulled on the black, calf-high boots and stood. The room spun around, but I stayed on my feet. I was not about to let John Jacks die thinking he had killed me.

I stepped out of the inn and into the muggy day. The air was beginning to cool off and it felt good against my still hot skin.

"Will you at least allow me to escort you there?" Andrew followed close behind.