Cutlass Anne - Chapter Forty-Six

Chapter Forty-six

I could hear Jane's screams as my body was hoisted onto the ship. My body lay on the deck as the men climbed aboard. Someone picked me up at some point. Someone with strong arms who smelled so deeply of the sea. Flynn.

He laid me on the bed and began removing the wet clothing I had on.

"What happened?" Jane wailed as she flopped onto the ground next to me. She was always a loud flopper.

"She was stabbed by John Jacks."

"Is he dead?"

"No, he was the man taken down below before the others went to attack The Cutlass," he explained.

"Why did you let this happen?" she cried.

No, Jane! Don't blame him, you silly girl. You know it was all me.

"I didn't mean for it to happen."

"It was an accident? That is supposed to make the fact that my sister may die okay? What kind of captain are you?"

"You are right. I should have been there. I should not have let her get in harm's way. It is my fault." He put a soft, dry shirt on me and pulled the blankets up to my chin.

"What do we do now?" Jane asked.

"We wait and see if she wakes up."

"Wait and see? That is all we can do?"

"If you want you can go on deck and watch John Jacks's ship blow up." He took up a seat next to the bed.

I was disappointed I missed watching the notorious Cutlass blow up. From the cheers on deck it must have been a spectacular sight, and from the sound of it there was a lot of gun powder used. I suspect not many people will be disappointed to see the pirate captain and his crew vanish. As the hours ticked by and I was trapped inside my mind, I could feel the ship sway back and forth as we headed down the coast towards South Carolina. I had to be awake and free of this ailment by then. There was no way I could miss the execution of such a monstrous man.

***

"We be a few hours away from port, cap'n," Scully said.

"Good. Ready the prisoners."

"Does the Cap'n Anne wake at all?" he asked.

"I am afraid not."

I am awake! I am here! Please, just hear me!

I tried so desperately to be heard. I tried so hard to move my body. Alas, it failed me. My eyes remained closed, and I remained motionless.

"My dearest, I do hope you awaken soon. We will be turning John Jacks and his crew over to the king's soldiers once we reach port. Your sister plans to wed Christopher the moment you are awake. Then we can be married. I am so sorry for all of this." He kissed my cheek.

Oh for the love of God.

He stood and left the room only to be replaced by Jane. I had not been left alone since it happened. From what I could hear Andrew said the wound was healing very nicely and that at this point everyone had to wait and see if I would wake up.

Wait and see? How long would they wait and see? How long would it be until they thought my waking was a lost cause?

A gust of wind rushed about the room. I heard papers scatter and something metallic fall to the floor. Salty air and flowers filled the room. We were near the South Carolina coast. I could just see the fields of asters in my mind. The purples, blues, and yellows for as far as the eye could see.

The telltale sound of anchors splashing water indicated that I was right. We were there. The door opened and I heard multiple people's feet.

"What are you doing?" Jane asked between sobs.

"Taking her ashore," Christopher said.

I could feel strong, sea-hardened hands gently lift my body off the bed. I felt as though I were flying through the air.

"Why? She is fine here!" she cried.

"Captain wants her in a solid bed so that Andrew and the local surgeon can do more."

"The local surgeon? I know him. I have seen him. What is his name though?"

His name is James Beary. Remember, Jane. It is James Beary!

"James! His name is James. I will go ashore with you and fetch him."

"Aye."

The wooden floor of the longboat was unusually soft. I lay there listening to the gentle waves lick at the sides. It was such a soothing sound. It was almost as though the sea were singing me a lullaby. Despite not moving or having my eyes open, I had not slept in so long. My mind was so tired. My body was tired. Maybe it was time I stopped trying to wake up and let things go the way they were meant to.

"When will we take the prisoners to shore?" a voice said above me. He sounded so far away.

"After Anne is comfortable and Jane can find the other surgeon," a second man said.

Was that Flynn?

"What will happen to them?"

"I'm going to make sure they hang, starting with my father." Flynn's angry voice drifted down.

"What of my father?" a woman asked.

Jane. Oh dear sweet Jane, do not worry about such things.

"I don't know."

"What if he tries to take us back?" Fear filled her voice. I didn't need to see her face to know she was terrified of going back to that man.

"He cannot. I will not allow him."

"How will you stop him?" Jane asked.

"Anne will be kept out of sight, as will you. He will never know that either of you are back."

"Once they are dead and Anne is awake we will travel to Charleston so that you and Christopher can marry."

"What if she does not wake?" she asked again.

"You and Christopher go. I will remain here with her." Flynn gently lifted my body out of the bottom of the boat.

"I cannot marry without my sister there," she wept.

"It is something that you may have to do, Jane. She has not moved or opened her eyes in three days."

Three days? Has it been that long?