Letter #6

My dear friend and brother,

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't reach for my phone to call you then I realize that you won't answer. Losing you was one of the worst moments of my life. I sat back and thought about our friendship and what it meant to me. Five decades of our crazy asses tearing up the First Avenue stage. Our time we spent together on the Purple Rain set. All the jokes we shared. The drum battles we would have on the weekends. The girls we would pick up on occassion. Oh what a time we had. Our share of ups downs and turn arounds. We've done it all man. I wish we had more time to do it all again. My letter to you may be short but that's because it needs to match you height! In all seriousness though I can't share one memory of you because i cant pick the one that's my favorite. You are my most favorite memory. Just the fact that we grew up together in the same town. On the same block. Had the same values instilled in us. We were one anothers keepers. Always had each other's back. Man Skip I dont even know what else to say other than......I love and miss you. I miss you so much. I wish that we had spent more time toegther in recent years. The last time we saw each other was when I came out to Paisley to perform at one of your private shows. Prior to that we had just talked about our differences over a recent beef we had. I knew where you were coming from when it came to the business but I just didn't feel like it was the right decision for me at the time. I know you were just looking out for in in good faith and I really do appreciate that from the bottom of my heart. I wish things didn't go the way they did to drive a wedge between us. But you know how it is. We're both stubborn mules that are set in our ways. The night you passed I was sitting at home watching TV when Purple Rain was playing on almost every station. When I got to the Purple Rain scene I bawled like a child. It broke me to the point of making myself sick. Dez had called a few hours later to check in and when he was telling me that he had just got word we cried together and prayed that it was just another one of you pranks. To this day it still doesn't feel real. We miss you more than words can express. I will continue to keep the spirit of you and your legacy alive and protect it as much as possible so that your grandbaby will always remember you.  You will always be my brother and I will always be indebted to you.

Thank you for you love,

Morris E. Day

The one and only.