Chapter 11

JK and Miss Lu mingled with the people that  had already arrived. Many people expressed surprise when JK said the name of their firm and his age: 20 years old. He nodded politely as people would talk to them but he really wanted to be away from all the stuffy conversations.

They were in a massive room that only had tables against the walls with various types of finger-foods and in the middle of the room was a grand staircase which led to where they would be dining that evening.

Miss Lu held tightly onto JK as he began to make a beeline for the tables. "I'm not hungry." She insisted as he pulled her along.  "One of my men have this place mapped out. Next to the bathrooms are stairs, if we walk up the stairs the first door on our right is a room. It is a form of a waiting area."

Miss Lu registered what he was saying. He stopped by the food while Miss Lu continued to walk forward towards the bathrooms. "Your eye candy is gorgeous." A obnoxious old man said.

"Excuse me?" JK asked praying he heard incorrectly. "You shouldn't let a beautiful girl like that walk around by herself." The man continued. "You despicable, self righteous, backward twat." Was all JK said before he went in the same direction as Miss Lu. "Yet you are following my advice." The old man said loudly.

He walked up the stairs and quietly opened and closed the first door on his right. Miss Lu sat on one of the chairs and looked up at JK. "Who ruffled your feathers?" She asked. He responded by just shrugging his shoulders and proceeded to feel under one of the chairs.

He brought out the iPad that had been lodged there. He started scrolling through the company names. "DF Enterprises isn't here." He muttered. "Let me check- just incase you missed it." Miss Lu said as she reached out for the iPad.

JK shook his head, "We both know they wouldn't be stupid enough to enter under that name. Not while we are looking for them. This was just stupid hope as always." JK leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

"Do you ever get tired of this whole revenge game?" Miss Lu asked. "All it promises is blood, sweat and tears." "Then why are you here? If all it'll bring you is hardship?" JK countered.

She tapped briefly on her chin, "Human nature. Until I receive the justice I need I will not rest because whether I am leading a normal life working a desk job or here in the syndicate my soul will be restless until Dragon and all his associates are brought to justice."

JK lifted his head, this woman truly was poetic. He took a deep breath and continued to scroll through the list of businesses. Some were familiar while others seemed strange.

"Didn't the Kensington-Matthews Corporation go out of business two years ago?" JK asked Miss Lu. She nodded her head slowly, "But they are still invited to these things because they left an indelible mark in the business world."

"Okay but take a look at this." JK said as he showed her the iPad. Miss Lu frowned and leaned forward, "This is impossible." She said adamantly. "I need to make some calls and we will get back to the gala." JK said. Miss Lu nodded and exited the room.

After JK made calls he put the iPad back where it was and left the room. He placed his hand on the small of Miss Lu's back and directed her down the stairs.

After a lot more mingling and polite conversations with underlying malice; a sudden scream erupted through the laughs and soft murmuring.