Chapter 12

Time flew by and before she knew it, Meredith was sitting in front of her suitcase panicking the day before she was supposed to leave for Dee's graduation. Ella sat on her bed, stroking Lily's back and watching Meredith run around in circles.

"Will you please calm down, Mere?" Ella grumbled.

"I can't. I shouldn't go." She was afraid of meeting his family. Last week she had said it had sounded fine, good even, but now she was paralyzed with fear. What if they didn't like her?

"It's too late. You know that."

Ella wasn't wrong. Nate had the tickets all ready to go, he even sent her a copy of her boarding pass in case she wanted it. He promised to bring both tomorrow morning when he was picking her up.

"He has enough money it wouldn't put him out that much."

"That would be rude," Ella pointed out.

Meredith groaned. "It's going to be awkward."

"Probably. But whose fault is that?"

Meredith knew it was her own.

"You don't have to spend the entire time with him."

Meredith barked out a laugh. "Who else would I spend it with? Especially if they hate me they won't want to spend extra time with me."

"They won't hate you."

Meredith threw her head in her hands. "You don't know that," she said voice muffled by her skin. All day long she'd been looking for excuses not to go and Ella countered each one. She was completely out of reasons which left her one option. One option besides faking her death and living out the rest of her days as an isolated sheep herder in Iceland.

"Just pack. Nate said it would be warm, right? Pack a couple dresses, including a two nice ones. Don't forget shorts."

Meredith rose to her feet and stepped inside her closet. She ran her hand over the fabrics and landed on her favorite dress. It was a purple halter-top made out of chiffon fabric and was more fifties than James Dean. She grabbed it and held it up to her body for Ella.

"Graduation dress?"

Ella nodded. "I like it. Wear nude heels with it and keep your hair simple. You want to look nice but not too dressed up for it."

Meredith tossed the dress to Ella and went hunting for another nice dress as per her instructions. It felt like they went through her entire closet before she was finally starting to zip up her suitcase.

"Don't forget to pack sexy undergarments," Ella added. Her eyes twinkled.

"What?"

"I don't want to see any granny-panties in there."

A blush erupted across Meredith's face. "I don't own any –"

Ella held up a hand. "Save it. You are going to be alone with Nate for a few days. Do you really think that nothing is going to happen?" Meredith shrugged. "You're not even sure. Regardless you need to be prepared." Ella strutted over to her dresser and started rifling through bras and panties. She threw certain ones into the bag and others to the side. She picked up one pair and gave Meredith look. "Sure you don't own any granny-panties."

Meredith stomped over to her and ripped the underwear from her hands. "These are my laundry day underwear! Now will you stop going on a panty raid?"

Ella laughed and threw in a couple more undergarments for good measure. "Now you are ready. I even left one in your drawer to wear tomorrow to wear on the plane."