Chapter 1

Percy's POV

Hurt. Betrayed. Abandoned. Lonely. Those were just a few of the feelings that I felt in my last two months at a place that I used to call home. Camp Half-Blood. The memories of those terrible eight weeks made it easier to say goodbye as I walked past Thalia's tree, into the real world. I made a silent promise to myself never to come back.

My name is Perseus Jackson, ex-savior Olympus, ex-son of Poseidon, and ex-boyfriend of Annabeth Chase. Maybe I should explain. I'll start from the beginning.

-Flashback-

I was in the arena fighting straw dummies when I heard a scream. I immediately turned towards Half-Blood Hill and started sprinting. When I reached the top, I saw a hellhound attacking a boy about my age. He had a branch in his hand and was attempting to hit the hellhound without getting hit by it. I easily threw riptide and the monster disintegrated into dust. I ran over to the boy and offered him my hand. He ignored it and pushed himself off the ground. He winced, and I noticed that he had a cut on his side. It wasn't deep, but for someone who probably didn't get beat up often, it probably hurt.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, no thanks to you." He said just loud enough for the campers who had gathered around to hear. I had been the first to the top of the hill, and the next people had only arrived after the hellhound had been reduced to dust. "You know, you could've helped me with that horde of monsters." I just stared at him. The other campers started giving me dirty looks. Chiron trotted over and gave me a disgusted look.

"I'm very disappointed in you Percy. I thought that I'd trained you better than that." Chiron said, then slowly shook his head in a disappointed way. I realized that arguing would just make me look like an even bigger douche, so I did the next worst thing. I turned on my heel and left.

-Flashback End-

I ran through the forest, with only my backpack and a sword I'd stolen from the armory at my side. I was stumbling over roots and rocks and ran into a few trees. The spontaneous flashbacks only made it worse. It had been a good forty-five minutes before I ran into my first monster, which is not bad for a child, or ex-child, of the big three like me. I reached into my back pocket for my pen/sword, Riptide, and grimaced when it wasn't there. I could tell there was a flashback in store, but I was able to stab the monster in the side before collapsing.

-Flashback-

"-and afterward, he didn't even offer to help me up!" The kid who I had saved, it turned out his name was Brendan, said, recounting his 'heroic' (note the sarcasm) entrance to camp for about the millionth time. In his whacked up version, there was a bunch of monsters (the amount went up every time he told the story, yet no one seemed to find it suspicious.) and he defeated all of them while I just stood to the side and watched. The spreading of the story wasn't what hurt me the most. What hurt me the most was how easily, and quickly everyone believed the story. My close friends seemed to know that the story was untrue, but when Brendan started to do other things like brake Jason's glasses, steal Annabeth's laptop, and do mean pranks to people and blame them on me, then they started to have their doubts. After eight weeks of torture made even worse when Brendan was claimed by Poseidon almost immediately, I was down to only Nico, Rachel, Grover, and Annabeth (who had been a little distant now that I think about it.) I wasn't sure about Hazel and Frank because they spent most of their time at Camp Jupiter, and I wasn't sure about Thalia because she was always with the Hunters.

It was a normal day, or as normal as it got with Brendan around. It had been about eight weeks since Brendan had arrived and I was almost at my breaking point. I was sitting in the arena, sharpening riptide.