EIGHT

Quiet filled the space between them as they sat in front of the door.  Empty streets stared back at them, despite that, the city seemed to swell with each gust of wind.  Stars twinkled in the broad sky above, not a cloud in sight.  They seemed so far away, from down in the terra-sectors.  When she was younger, Avery could remember flying up, trying to touch the stars.  Everytime, she'd reach out, only to miss.  Her father would laugh, the same deep belly laugh, and shout, "Moya Solnishka, they run away from you." She would pout, sticking out her lower lip and crossing her arms.  He would swoop over and tuck her into his arms. "Do not worry, one day you shall reach the stars, on the wings of a strong nation."  That was when her mother would come out, nagging father for letting her outside after curfew. 

When was the last time she reached out to the stars?

Avery closed one eye and stretched out an arm, wrapping her fingers around a star.  Bringing her hand to her chest, she opened her eyes and her hand.  Empty.  Still, a light smiled played its way onto her face.  A soft breeze brushed a strand of hair in front of her face. 

Beside her, Havana fidgeted in her chair. Turning to face her, Avery tucked the loose strand behind her ear.  Catching Avery's gaze, Havana quickly looked away, puffing her cheeks out. 

"What is it you wish to ask me, little Walker girl?" Avery tilted her head.  Havana furrowed her brow, still avoiding looking at Avery.

"I'm not little, I'm almost nine," She pouted, puffing out her lower lip in protest.  Avery couldn't stop herself from smiling, motioning Havana to go on.  She scowled, but continued anyways. "Well, are you- Daddy said you're an Av-av-" Havana stuttered, unsure of how to pronounce the word.

"Avionary?"

"Yeah, one of those, but you don't have any wings."

Lowering her gaze, Avery took a deep breath. "Yes, a very bad man took them away.  I do not know why, only that he- that he was most definitely insane."

"And Carlos, he said that you were an important person.  He called you a princess.  Is that true?"

"He called me a princess?" Avery looked up at Havana, shocked. 

"Yep, he came up and said, 'Princess Bird-girl wouldn't eat her supper, she must be spoiled rotten up in her pretty palace in the sky.' He wasn't very happy."

Avery ran a hand through her hair, shaking her head. "Of course, what was I thinking?  That boy has no sense of loyalty to the crown," she muttered under her breath.  Recalling the lie she spun earlier she then, louder and to Havana, added, "I am only a lady of the court.  My father's position held small importance in the Glass Palace.  In two weeks time, during the Solstice ceremony, my betrothed, Vihane, would have claimed his title."

"Oh," Havana replied, looking out into the darkened street.   Avery followed her gaze.  The quiet fell again, the wind carrying it on its' back only to drop it on the desert city.  Absent minded, Avery twisted a strand of hair between her fingers, drawing her knees closer to her chest while Havana leaned forward. "What is it like, living in the sky?"

"Very different from here.  Grass and flowers flourish and our buildings reach up to into the clouds.  The glass palace, where my father works, is the tallest building on Capitol Eden.  It is where most balls and galas are held along with political meetings and trade agreements.  My mother and father- well they arranged many festivities at the palace, for the nobility.  Father was especially fond of the children," Avery reminisced.  Havana watched her, eyes wide.

"Do you miss it?"

"Yes." Hand falling into her lap, she turned herself towards the girl. "What of your mother and father? Your world is full of oddities, tell me of them."