NINE

She couldn't move.  She couldn't speak.  All she could do was stare at the little picture, framed by the metallic locket.  The small picture held her captive. Her clothing suddenly felt heavier, clinging to her skin, clawing at her.

Carlos' mother, brave, strong, and in that picture, alive.  Her smile radiant against the sandy background.   Avery felt the lump forming in her neck; she swallowed, slowly turning to face Carlos.  He was leaning into her, his cheek only inches away from her own.  His eyes stayed glued to the locket, a soft, sad smile painted on his face.

"This-this is your mother?" Avery's voice quaked.

"Yeah...this picture is a few years old.  She was actually starting to get some grays.  Not that she'd admit it," Carlos joked.  Looking over to her, his smile fell. "Is everything alright?"

"I am-" Avery cut short, unsure of herself.  Unsure of what to say.  If she told him the truth, she would surely be thrown out, if not killed. "I am fine." She finished, shifting away.  "Simply more tired than I first thought.  Perhaps we should both retire for the night."

"Uh, yeah," Carlos snapped the locket shut.  The picture disappearing into its oval shaped case before the necklace vanished beneath the collar of his shirt.  He pushed himself to his feet, stretching as he yawned.  Turning towards Avery, he extended a hand.

Closing her eyes, Avery forced the rock in her gut to go away, reaching out and grabbing his hand.  His fingers, dry and dusty, wrapped around her own as he pulled her to her feet.  Not ready for the amount of force Carlos had lifted her with, Avery stumbled forward, crashing into Carlos' chest.  The soft fabric of his shirt rubbed against her cheek.  He surrounded her with his strong arms, pulling her in closer.  Clenching his shirt, she peeked up.  He wasn't looking at her, staring into space. "Look, I'm sorry about supper.  I- I was upset with myself more than anything else.  Can we start fresh?"

Pushing herself away, Avery broke out of his grasp. "You have no reason to apologize.  Now, let us go to bed." She stepped back, cradling herself.  Confused, Carlos reached out for her again.

"Avery?"

"I would prefer-" Avery gulped, raising her chin as Carlos' hand brushed her arm. "I would prefer if you did not touch me."

His hand dropped.  Avery felt a twinge in her heart, her words were a lie, she wanted him to hold her and protect her.  But how could she live with it?  Knowing his mother died by her hands. 

Carlos slid his hands into the pockets of his pajama pants. "Of course.  Sorry." His voice monotone as he walked back into the house.  The warmth he radiated only moments before froze.  Eyes on the ground, Avery followed close behind. 

Wordlessly, she headed to the cellar door.  Opening the hatch, Avery glanced over her shoulder. "Goodnight, Carlos."

He paused at the frame of the door to the next room, turning to look back at her. "Yeah, you too, Bird-Girl." A grin spread across his face, big and tired. He disappeared into the next room.  Pink flushed Avery's cheek as she bit back the urge to insult him.

Alone now, Avery descended into the basement and headed to her blanket.  The itchy wool now felt soft underneath her bare fingers.  Sleep overtook quickly with her hunger subsided.