THIRTY

Laying on her bed, Avery curled up, cradling her knees as she fought back the tears.  Lost and alone, she shook with uncertainty.  Home, yet so far away...

Faint shouts of a fragmented argument drifted through the doors.  Hairs standing on edge, Avery burrowed further into her blankets, she refused to open the door for the servants and guards when they checked on her hours ago and she'd refuse whomever approached now.  They could all rot for believing Vihane.

"That is a ridiculous gift, Flicker!  She has returned from the pits of eternal darkness, she will not desire some ridiculous doll."

"It is not ridiculous," there was a pause of gentle consideration, "it is adorable."

Avery perked up, untangling herself from the pits of her sheets.  She would recognize that arguing anywhere.  An uncontrollable smile lit up her face as she struggled to throw off the blankets.  A knock rasped against her door. 

"Coming," she said, giving up on the blankets as she stepped off the bed.  A mistake on her part as they tangled around her feet.  As Flicker flung the door open, Avery tripped over herself, flying towards the ground.  Falling, she caught Penelope's gaze, hand over mouth.

"Avery!" Flicker dove, but it was too late.  Avery crashed against the stone tile, the sting of impact spiking in her forearms as she dragged the rest of blankets with her, burying herself.  Yelping at the sudden darkness, Avery felt as Penelope and Flicker dug her out. 

Flicker picked the blanket up off her head, light flooding her vision-blinding her for a moment before she could focus on his face.  His bright smile contrasted Penelope's concerned scowl a she stood behind him.  Sitting up, Avery threw her head back as laughter bubbled up.  Joining them, Penelope's frown fell way.  Flicker leaned back on the bed, laying down. 

Giggles dying, Avery inhaled, taking in their presence.  They must have rushed over, she noted, from their informal garb.  Normally Penelope wouldn't step foot into the palace without her makeup done, but today she wore silk pants and a loose shirt, her hair pulled up into a ponytail, the gold tendrils gone from her hair.  While Flicker's clothing remained similar, his hair hung limp, bangs dipping in front of his eyes where he usually brushed it back.   

Placing a hand on her shoulder, Flicker slipped something into her lap.  "We never gave up on you."

"I never doubted you," Avery whispered.  Picking the object up, her fingers ran over the knitted fabric and yellow strands of yarn on top of its head.  It was a doll, small and limp.  A red bow hung awkwardly in its hair, contrasting its little blue dress.  Green wings protruded from its back, the soft cotton brushing against her fingers.  Black thread stitched a smile on its face.  So familiar.  It hit her then, in her hands was the same doll that she had found in the Wastes, or at least similar enough.  This doll was cleaner, less beat up.  "Where did you get this?"

Flicker shrugged.  "Father found it in one of the shipments from Avnowa, and what do you get for a girl who could have anything?"

Leaning over, Penelope slapped him on the back of the head. "Do not listen to his foolishness," she scowled, ignoring Flicker's indignant shout of opposition.  Gaze returning to Avery, lingering where her wings used to sit, her face softened. "We were worried sick, what happened?  Where were you?  Rumors have been flying between Edens, but we've heard nothing confirmed."  Sitting down beside Avery, she waited for her to speak.

A lump rose in Avery's throat as she averted her eyes, instead focusing on the doll's mismatched stitching and delicate features.  She weighed the risk of telling them, but Vihane's threat was fresh in her mind and she couldn't sit back any longer.  Surely they would support her, it may take some persuading- Penelope so hung up on tradition, but they would listen to her.  "It is a long story, mostly spent wandering the desert, but you must understand, the Walker's saved me.  I owe my life to them.  Which is why I must ask you to help me return them the favor."