FORTY-FIVE

Slipping out of the cell block, Avery joined Carlos in the staircase.  They made their way upward in comfortable quiet until they reached the outer edges of the palace's garden to a lone bench on the cobble stone path.  The sweet smell of tiger lilies and panther willows wrapped around them as they settle down on the bench.  There was no good way to start this conversation.  Carlos fidgeted with his sash, trying to make the fabric stretch and cover more of his torso.  His uncomfort settled in the scrunch of his brow and twisting of his lips- plush pink flooded Avery's cheeks.  Catching her amusement,  Carlos pouted in her direction.

"It's not funny, they practically forced me into this joke of an outfit this morning.  They were going to do this weird paint stuff too, but I threatened to jump out the window."

Avery laughed, throwing her head back.  She had no doubt the trouble the servants had gone through to convince Carlos to wear the Avionary garb- remembering how strange the Walker clothing had felt the first time it bristled against her skin.  Wiping an invisible tear from her eye, she shifted to face him.  "Be assured,  you look pleasant in these silks.  Besides, the castle servants have enough on their wings without worrying about you jumping through windows."

"I'll keep that in mind the next time they come bursting into my room," Carlos clucked.  Avery laughed again, pulling her feet up to perch on the bench and wrapping her arms around her knees.  The quiet between them was lighter now, but darkness crept into the edges of her thoughts- a frown replacing her grin.  Sombering, Carlos tilted a head and waited.

Avery sighed.  "There is so much left to do Carlos, with the Parliament and in the church as we change  the very foundation of Iden.  My father is manning the conversion of the Council of Sky, I just thank the heavens he agreed to retake the position of High Priest.  Meanwhile, I have to act as an intermediary until a proper Minister can be seated. This shift isn't just going to impact the law, but the economy.  We are expected to hit economic turbulence as our entire workforce shifts.  Avnowa has offered its assistance in exchange for nothing more than an alliance-but war with Solstice will surely be inevitable then.  Iden's army-"

"Shh," Carlos interrupted Avery's ramblings, placing a hand on her shoulder, "One step at a time.  You've made a great Minister so far."

"I- I never did thank you," Avery leaned into his touch, "for throwing that wrench and saving my life."

Carlos chuckled.  "If anything, I should be thanking you.  I'd be dead if you hadn't stepped in."

"Thank you, Carlos," Avery exhaled.  The breeze picked up,  pollen flowing with it.  Specks of purple glimmering dust, the seed of the panther willows,  landed on her arms and scattered over Carlos' cheeks.  Breathtaking.  She found herself lost in the dips and grooves of his face, the stark angles and casting shadows highlighting his smile- the way one side of his lip quirked up higher than the other- but it didn't reach his eyes, not all the way.  Guilt seeped into her heart.  "Words will never describe how sorry I am, for all the suffering I have brought upon you.  I know-" A lump rose in her throat , "that you can never forgive me-"

"You're right, I can never forgive you," Carlos interrupted, slipping his hand into her own.  Warm and strong against her frail fingers, "but perhaps we can start again.  Start as friends, and maybe..."

"Maybe a new heaven will rise?" Avery supplied, squeezing his hand.  He perked up. 

"Yeah, maybe."  Neither of them fully believed the statement but neither would say that.

A chiming bell blared out across the Capitol Eden, loud but inviting.  Carlos let go of her hand as he stood up tall.  Spine straight and shoulders set, he extended a hand to her.

"Well, we better go.  The First Iden Parliamentary Meeting is about to begin- we need our Minister."

Avery reached out to take his hand, uncurling from the bench.  She stopped to meet Carlos' gaze, his hand waiting for her.  Taking a deep breath, she clasped his hand and rose,  long blond locks curling around and framing her face.  She walked alongside Carlos, into the depths of the Glass Palace and into the Grand Hall- temporary wooden steps had been built until stone ones could be put in place. 

Opening the great, white double doors, Avery entered the Hall to a large table surrounded by those with and without wings alike.  Sahara sat poised on one side of the table, elected Walkers surrounding her.  Somehow she managed to convince the servants to leave her in Walker garb, but the others were not as fortunate.  A dozen Nocturnes sat opposed to them, representing their own faction.  If a new world was to be built, it would be built for everyone.   At the head of the table mingled the Council of Sky, now the representatives of Iden's Avionaries. Amongst them, different officials from Avnowa shared their diplomatic input. Her heart swelled as she realized the words she told Carlos weren't a comfortable lie but truth.  A new heaven would rise and it would start with them.  One step at a time.

Carlos patted her shoulder, passing her to take his seat.  Avery smiled at him, clapping her hands.

"Welcome," she announced, capturing the attention of the room as they settled, "Are we ready to begin?"