TWENTY-TWO

Slipping into a nearby corridor, they entered a wing of the base that Avery had never seen before. Mirror image to the other hallway, it stopped at a single vault door. A few other doors lined the walls, mostly nondescript doors numbered by engraved metal plates. Carlos breezed past them, making his way to the end of the hall, Avery at his heels. The length of her shaeish tailed behind her, skirting the cold floors.

Placing his hands on the turn wheel of the door, Carlos' shoulders tensed, muscles coiling in anticipation as he forced the wheel to move. A clank vibrated through the inner workings of the lock, growing louder as the noise banged through the hall. Stepping back, he swung the door outward. Avery tried to peek over his shoulder with no avail.

Carlos took her hand, fingers curling around her own as he lead her through the threshold, careful not to trip over the base of the door frame. Avery's eyes widened at the sight of thousands of synthetic wings lining the cavernous high ceiling, the shine of the polaranium reflecting the overhead lights. Workbenches scattered the floor, metal scraps littering each section.

"Wha-what is this?" Avery gasped, tightening her grip on Carlos.

Leading her to a metal bench in the corner, he dug into the bag leaning against the mess of a work station. Out came a torn up, yellowing scroll-the same that she carried from the Alvarez' home in Tri-River. He rolled it out overtop the taped notes and loose screws, the faded pen markings delicately detailing a pair of wings. Curiously, Avery leaned in closer, free hand skimming over the smooth paper. His cursive print, messy in its tiny lettering, embedded itself next to the finer sections.

Meanwhile, Carlos slipped another scroll out of his bag, this one newer- paper still a fresh white. Shuffling, Avery allowed him to roll it out.

Her mouth ran dry.

Outlined on the page was a map of Capitol Eden, a red circle around the Glass Palace. Uniform and thick inky print scrawled across the top, MISSION: HEAVEN'S FALL. Blue and red pen described a route from the outer rings of the city, into the central gardens. On the side, the same print plotted a route through the palace itself.

"Sahara has been busy," Carlos broke the silence that had flooded the room. Mouth agape, Avery looked up from the scroll. Carlos kept his gaze on the paper, grim. "She had a special team developing my wings- but they couldn't get them to work properly. I- I fixed them."

"When?" That was all Avery could manage to get out, locking back onto the map.

"Three day," Carlos replied, "three days and we make our move. After that Avery," Carlos squeezed her fingers, "I swear, I'll get you home to your family."

Her jaw tightened. "It won't work."

"What?" Carlos crinkled his nose, gaze tracing the tick lines of the plan. Avery pointed to the red arrows encircling behind the castle.

"Guards are posted there throughout day and night. You could not make it through," Avery moved to a cluster of blue arrows, "And a new building was constructed here for the guards."

"We have to tell Sahara." Carlos picked up the scroll, letting go of Avery as he shoved it back into his pack. He slung the brown sack over his shoulder, it hung awkwardly against the extra fabric of the shaeish. "Come on." Hurriedly, he rushed her out of the work room, locking the vault door behind her. Almost running, Avery struggled to keep up with Carlos, the length of her ceremonial robes catching under her feet. He doesn't pause when they re-enter the cafeteria, unfazed by the music and conversation.

They emerged through the familiar double doors that lead to the dorms. Carlos blew passed the separating corridors, marching towards the end of the hall. Towards the last, unmarked door. Sahara's office.

Carlos knocked. The echo blared through the hall, ringing in Avery's ear.

A smooth, strong voice called out from behind, "Come in."