Chapter 1 - The Human Familiar

The bright morning sun shone brightly through the sheer curtains that hung inside of (Name)'s bedroom. She turned in her sleep and squeezed her eyes shut more to try and block out the light. However, when the light continued to shine in her face, she mumbled grumpily and turned to the other side.

Her bedroom door shook a bit before opening. The young mage put a protective spell on her door to keep out anyone with intentions to hurt her, so her visitor was completely safe. Said visitor happened to be (Name)'s peasant friend at the Academy, Siesta. She and Siesta had connected since (Name) was a first year. "(Name), miss, it's time to wake up!"

"Mmm..." (Name) shoved her head underneath her plush pillows and snuggled deeper into her bed. "Five more minutes, Papa, please..."

"Miss (Name), I'm not your Papa. I'm Siesta, and if I let you sleep five more minutes, then you'll just as for another five. And, another, and another, and another, and--"

(Name) whined as she arched her back to sit up, her pillow balancing on her head for a minute before falling off. "Okay, okay! I'm up!" She pouted when she heard Siesta giggle softly. "Thank you for waking me up, Siesta, but you should get back to your duties. I don't want you to get into trouble."

Siesta smiled at her. "I'm not only here to wake you up, Miss (Name). I've been ordered to clean all of the second year students's rooms. Today is the day you summon your Familiar, remember?"

As soon as Siesta's words had registered in (Name)'s mind, she hopped out of bed and scramed to get dressed. "Yay! Finally, I get my Familiar! I've been waiting for years for this day!" She yanked her skirt up onto her wide hips and snapped the buttons together on it. "I'll be sure to write to Papa about my Familiar. Maybe, when I go to visit, he and Shinko will get along well."

(Name) ran toward the meduim sized vanity she had in her bedroom and straightened up her (Hair Length & Color) hair. She smiled at her appearance once she had finished and turned toward the door to leave. "Oh, wait!" She turned back toward her bed and pointed her finger at it. Her covers and sheets lifted up before tucking themselves neatly into the bed. Then, she wiggled her finger a bit, pointing it at the ground next to her bed. A simple dog bed appeared with fancy golden embroidering that read Shinrai. "I'll see you later, Siesta!"

"Have a good day, Miss (Name)."

(Name) quickly sprinted down the hall, hoping to avoid any of her tormentors until after the summonings. However, today was not her day. "Hello, (Name) the Useless." She stopped in her tracks and turned to her left. 'So close...' She thought to herself.

Kirche stood in her doorway, arms crossed underneath her incredibly large chest. She grinned smugly at the shorter girl a little ways away from her. "Where are you off to in such a hurry? To see Guiche, maybe?"

"Guiche is with Montmorency, Kirche, you know that." (Name) frowned angrily at her.

Kirche scoffed, her smug attitude never faltering. She stepped away from her doorway and bumped (Name) with her hip as she passed. "Well, it's good that you know that now. If you were still in the dark, it would cause some real trouble. Especially with your little habit of writing letters."

"Shut up, Kirche."

"Hmm?" The redheaded mage turned her head over her shoulder to glance back at (Name). "What was that, Useless (Name)?"

(Name) flinched at her harsh codename. Everyone at the Tristain Academy called her '(Name) the Useless' because she could never perform adequite magic in front of others. She lowered her head and whispered, "Nothing." She quickly ran past Kirche and toward the stairway.

All the way outside, she repeated in her mind, 'Shinrai, Shinrai, Shinrai, my Familiar.' She slipped behind the crowd of students and quietly caught her breath. (Name) heard murmurs and whispers amongst the other second-years about the types of Familiars they each might summon. However, she also heard her name mentioned within the chatter.