Chapter 3 - Letter Opener

"Extraordinary..."

Inside of the library of the institute, Mr. Colbert was studying through the ancient history books. The mark that had appeared on the back of Saito Hiraga's hand was quite intriguing. It was unique and strange. He was almost certain that he had seen a similar rune in a history book before.

So, after the summonings, Mr. Colbert had retreated to the library and stayed until he found the book he was looking for. The rune was very, very ancient indeed. As he delved further into the book, Mr. Colbert's eyes widened in surprise. "This is very extraordinary. I must go to Lord Osmond about this."

(Name) pouted angrily at her familiar, Saito, as she stood over him. At some point in the night, he had flopped out of the little dog bed and was sprawled out on the floor. She had almost tripped over him when she got up to get dressed! "Hiraga! Wake up!"

Saito mumbled something in his sleep and rolled over onto his other side, also laying on the tip of (Name)'s foot. She lifted her foot up to move him and shouted again, "Wake up! Unless you don't want to eat breakfast!"

Just then, he woke up, smiling and drooling a bit. "Breakfast?! Where?! I'm starved!" Saito looked around for the promised meal before he regained his bearings and remembered where he was. "Huh? Uh?"

"Hiraga, if you don't hurry up, we're going to be late! Breakfast is an important meal, and we cannot skip it."

Saito stood up and stretched his arms above his head. He looked over to his short master and gave a small smile. "I'm ready."

(Name) pointed to the floor where Saito was once laying. "Tonight, I'm making you a proper bed. No one under my care and protection is going to sleep on the floor." She smiled back at him. "Now, let's get to breakfast."

The pair walked down to the large cafeteria, where the rest of the students had already gathered. They were talking within their groups of friends and associates, as they had time to converse before the collective blessing of the food. However, some of the discussion was hushed by the appearance of (Name) and her familiar.

(Name) discreetly looked over her shoulder at Saito and whispered, "Don't look at anyone, and they won't bother you. Got it?"

"Uh? Uh-huh..." The black-haired familiar looked down at the floor and occastionally looked up at (Name)'s back to estimate how close or far away he was to her. He listened closely to the conversations that he could pick up as they passed people.

"Haha! Look. It's her familiar."

"I heard this morning that they slept together in the same room!"

"Scandalous~!"

Then, he looked up at (Name) to see that she started walking faster, most likely to avoid hearing the other mages anymore. He sped up to catch up with her. "Hey, um... What are they talking about?"

"Familiars sleep outside of their masters' room to protect them from potential intruders. But, I have a protective spell on my door so that no one can come in if they intend to harm me." (Name) explained as she pulled out a chair at the very end of one of the long tables. She motioned for Saito to sit in the seat next to her. "Have a seat, Hiraga. No one ever sits with me, so you won't be inconveniencing anyone."

Saito sat down and looked around at the students near them. They sneered at him and (Name) before turning their noses up in haughty pride and conversing amongst themselves. He smiled nervously before looking back to (Name).

She looked down at the porcelian plates and fine silverware before her as her bottom lip quivered slightly. (Name) figured that she would've been used to their attitudes by now. But, the way they treated her reminded her so much of...