Chapter Six - The Legend Gandalfr

Saito grumbled under his breath as he took his sweet time searching for Guiche. Unfortunately, he still had to thank the blonde mage for helping him and (Name) in class. "If she wasn't so cute... If she hadn't have asked me," Saito mumbled to himself, trying to feel better about thanking such a pompous young man for speaking on their behalf. 

He turned a corner and saw Guiche talking with Montmorency. Saito stopped where he was, waiting for them to finish their discussion. However, he was able to hear them from where he was and was glad for it when he heard what they were talking about.

Montmorency eyed Guiche as she gently scratched her little frog familiar's head. "What happened in class yesterday, Guiche?"

"You're asking me? We all saw her summon that commoner."

"Even so, he embarrassed us by blowing up like that! It was just some simple teasing, and he acted as if he'd been insulted."

Saito rolled his eyes. 'Of course, a noble like her wouldn't see a thing wrong with what they did. I guess she's just another popular girl who feels above everyone.'

Montmorency turned away from her mage boyfriend as she said, "I can't help but think you might have some feelings for (Name). Why else would you stick up for her that way?"

Guiche waved his hands in denial with a nervous smile on his face. "No, no, not at all! What would I be doing with a girl who can't perform adequate magic? Montmorency, you have no need to be jealous of (Na --"

"And, who is jealous of that useless twit?! I'm merely concerned about what other students will say!" Montmorency sighed, putting on a simpering pout. "(Name) had a crush on you before, who's to say it ever ended? She may still have feelings for you, and you protecting her from meaningless jokes in class may give her the wrong impression."

'A crush?' The human Familiar glowered, 'On that powder-nosed wimp?'

"Montmorency, please, calm yourself." Guiche put his hands on her shoulders, turning on his most effective and charming gaze. "I only stepped in so that class could continue. After all, if she constantly gets attention like that, she'll think she's as renowned as her father. You can't feed into her vanity, my dear."

She slowly shrugged. "I suppose..."

"(Name) the Useless means absolutely nothing to me."

That was all Saito could stand to hear. He stomped over to the two nobles, shouting out, "Hey! Guiche!"

Montmorency blinked in surprise before putting on a disinterested gaze. "Oh, it's the peasant Familiar."

"What do you want, peasant?"

"What I want is for you to apologize!" Saito clenched his fists angrily at his sides. "How can you say that (Name) means nothing to you when you went out of your way for her so many times?!"

Guiche quirked his eyebrow. "And, just what examples of these 'many times' do you have to offer?"

Almost immediately, Saito listed off, "You carried me to the infirmary, you made idle chat with her yesterday morning, and you stood up for her when everyone else was picking on her. Why would you do all that if she meant nothing?"

Montmorency turned to Guiche with a jealous heat in her eyes. "What's this about chatting with her yesterday morning?!"

Guiche gulped nervously and tried to calm her down. "Y-you don't believe him, do you?"

"What would he have to gain from lying about it?! Grr, I'm so angry with you, I can't see straight!"

"Montmorency, please! Don't let the lies of this lowly peasant --"