Chapter Seven - Feuding Feelings

"Saito, wake up soon..."

Saito's eyelids twitched softly as he began to wake up. He felt a weight on his left side and turned to see (Name) clinging to him, sound asleep. She had one arm wrapped around his and held onto his shoulder with her other hand. 

He hadn't moved much yet, so he could enjoy the view before she woke up. The human Familiar smiled at his master as he quietly scooted closer to her. 'Let's see what she does,' he thought to himself as he positioned his face to be much closer to hers. Then, he closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep again.

A few minutes passed before (Name) woke up. She blinked slowly as she saw how close she was to Saito's face. She didn't want to wake him, but his head was rested on her hand, so she couldn't move without jostling him some. She leaned her head up a little to whisper in his ear, "Saito."

"Hm?" The young man turned his head and accidentally caused them to touch cheeks. The embarrassed teens jumped away from each other as Saito sat up in his bed and (Name) plopped back in the chair she had pulled over to his bedside.

With a nervous waver in her voice, (Name) told her Familiar, "I-I'm glad to see you're up!"

"Mm-hmm!" He nodded quickly, pursing his lips. 'Geez, that was a bad idea! Now I'm all embarrassed and whatnot!'

She tucked her hair behind her ear as she looked off to the side. "Y-you were asleep for so long, I was beginning to worry about you. I-I mean, I was worried anyway because of the fight." (Name) cleared her throat to try and calm down. "The nurse checked you over and you don't have any broken bones or internal injuries from Guiche's Valkyrie."

He sighed in relief. "That's great."

"Speaking of Guiche..." (Name) started cautiously. "He told me what he said about me. He told me everything he said to Montmorency and to you, and he even apologized for it."

Saito played with his fingers as he asked, "D-did you forgive him?"

Her shoulders tensed. "I told him that I needed some time to think about it. After all, he lied to me. He made me think that he might've actually cared, but in reality, he thought what everyone else did... He thought I was nothing." The mage gulped down the sadness in her throat and continued, "And, he had no right to challenge you to a fight like that. He was in the wrong, and as a noble, he should have just taken responsibility for it."

Saito sighed before shrugging, "Well, I suppose I should apologize, too. Guiche wouldn't have challenged me if I'd kept my temper in check, and then I wouldn't have worried you so much."

(Name) blushed before shaking her head. "No, no, you have nothing to apologize for. You did nothing wrong."

"Still, it was stupid to just rush into a fight like that. I'm sorry that I made you worry."

"Saito..."

The two sat in a comfortable silence before looking at each other. They unknowingly moved a bit closer together before urgent knocks sounded at the door. From the other side, (Name) could hear Kirche demanding, "(Name)! Let me in so I can check on Saito! The nurse said he should be up by now; don't hog him!"

As she stood up, she whispered a warning to Saito. "Careful, Hiraga. I do believe she has a crush on you." 

"C-crush?" Saito questioned as she went to the door. 

As soon as (Name) opened it, Kirche ran inside and over to his bed. Tabitha calmly walked in behind her, reading one of her many books. The busty redhead straddled one of Saito's legs as she climbed up on the bed to hug him, pressing his face close to her chest. "Oh, my poor darling~! Are you alright?"