Chapter 10 - Party time

Just after 9, Sadie rushed to the door as she heard the bell, not wanting her mom to open it and embarrass her. She opened it to find Millie and Finn, arms linked, dressed much like they usually were at school. Sadie couldn't help but be disappointed by both of these things when she looked at Millie, preferring her other, more natural look. She also noticed that Millie wouldn't make eye contact with her, letting Finn do the talking. "You ready?" he asked. Sadie found it strange to hear his voice as he said so little in general, in fact it was probably the first thing he'd ever said directly to her since they met.

"Yeah" she replied nodding. "Mom! I'm going now!"

"Ok, have fun, stay safe." Sadie rolled her eyes feeling slightly embarrassed, but deep down knowing all parents were like that, just wanting their kids to be safe.

It wasn't a long walk to the party at Wyatt's house, whoever the hell Wyatt is thought Sadie. She was glad it didn't take long as she felt like a third wheel what with Millie holding Finn's hand the entire walk there. Sadie couldn't help feel a pang of something in her stomach whenever she looked, I'm not jealous...I'm not... she tried to convince herself. They met the others along the way as they all lived on route.

Sadie followed them into the house, the heavy bass and thick atmosphere enveloped them immediately. "This way guys" said Caleb, spying a couple of couches facing each other in the corner with a table in the middle. They all flopped down, Millie in the middle of one couch, Finn with his arm over her shoulder, Noah the other side. Sadie was in the middle of the other couch, facing Millie. Gaten and Caleb, who had promised to find some drinks for them all, returned a couple of minutes later with some bottles and shot glasses and sat either side of her.

"Nice" said Noah, satisfied with the haul.

Sadie was nervous, she didn't really know anyone else at the party, and was also thinking that Millie had been avoiding talking to her at school and the whole way there. After a few shots, when they'd loosened up a bit and were laughing about various drunken people doing stupid shit right in front of them at the party, Millie slammed her shot glass down on the table, stopping the laughter immediately. "I hear you've been asking questions about me, Sadie" she stated.

Sadie coughed as she took her shot, causing it to shoot up her nose. She looked at Gaten, who had the good grace to look embarrassed and mouth sorry at her. She brought her gaze back to Millie, whose expression was a mix of anger, disappointment, but, if Sadie was reading her right, mainly hurt. "You could just ask me, you know? I wouldn't lie to you" said Millie, not breaking eye contact. Sadie noticed Finn just looking at Millie with a concerned expression, noting how he squeezed her shoulder slightly, like he was reassuring her.

Sadie opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by a crowd of people, "hey! Here they are! The cool kids are over here!" They all looked around to find Maddie, Grace, and Marina, each rather drunk, each draped around a jock from school and surrounded by more random people.

"What do you want?" said Millie, in an impatient voice.

"Come on, don't be like that, Millie. Let's put all the bullshit behind us and have some fun, what do you think? I mean, it's a party, right?!" said Maddie, to cheers from the crowd.

Everyone then just looked at Millie, waiting to hear her response. "Okay" she said, still sounding unconvinced, "what do you suggest we do?" Sadie saw Finn whisper something in Millie's ear, and she shook her head once in reply.

"Party games, how about never have I ever?" suggested Grace.

Millie shrugged, "ok then." She looked over at Sadie and, realising how nervous she looked, gave her a reassuring smile, "it's ok" she mouthed

"Ok, who's first?" asked Grace.

"I'll go" said Noah. "Never have I ever peed in the shower" he said to a laughing group. Nearly everyone admitted to having done that and drank.

"Never have I ever stole anything" shouted a guy from the back, clearly wanting to show off to a girl he liked, and drinking straight away.

"My turn" said Marina, "never have I ever been in a police car."

Millie was the only one to drink to the sound of an "ooooooo" from random people. Seeing Finn squeeze her shoulder again, Sadie gave her a questioning look, to which Millie replied with a cold smile, the spark in her eyes completely extinguished.

"Never have I ever stayed in hospital" yelled Grace, over the noise. A few more people, including Millie, drank this time, some explaining their injuries to their friends straight after.

"Never have I ever kissed someone of the same sex" said some random kid. Everyone looked at each other waiting to see who'd be brave enough to drink. Millie smirked and downed another shot, as did Noah, closely followed by a few more random kids they didn't know, who just shrugged it off. Sadie closed her eyes and downed her shot too, when she opened them Millie was looking at her intently. And then a surprising person joined in with the drinking, Marina, who certainly didn't miss the disappointed look she received from Maddie.

"Never have I ever lost my virginity" said Maddie slyly, finishing her shot straight away, joined by quite a few of the other party goers. She was staring at Millie as if to challenge her.

Sadie couldn't work out why, but Millie seemed to be debating whether to drink the shot or not, either you have or you haven't, Millie she thought. She picked it up and was about to drink it when Finn put his hand over the top and made her put it down, she looked at him and he shook his head firmly, jaw clenched, so she left it there.

"What the fuck Millie, you expect us to believe you haven't done it" shouted Maddie, making sure everyone heard her.

"Unlike you, Maddie, I'm not a complete slut" she replied, coolly.

"Unlike your mom, I guess."

"What?" said Millie, her eyes narrowing.

"Come on Millie, there's what, a 15-year difference between you and your sister, there's no dad or boyfriend, seems like your mom likes to have a good time, even if you don't" she said, throwing her head back and laughing at her own wit.

Sadie had never seen anyone move so fast from a sitting position, but, faster than she could comprehend, Millie had jumped across the table and straight onto Maddie. Knocking her to the ground she started raining down blows with her fists in a blind rage. Maddie had no chance of defending herself against such a frenzy and was rescued by an unlikely source, Finn. Everyone else was just standing and watching in shock, but he rushed over and grabbed Millie by the waist, pulling her off. "Go, Millie, get out of here!" he ordered her, bringing her back to reality.

Millie took one last look at Maddie, turned, and walked out. Grace and Marina hurried over and helped Maddie stand up, Sadie could see her face was a mess, fucking bitch deserved that.

"Ok, show's over everyone" yelled Caleb. People started peeling away from the crowd, drifting off back to the party, but it seemed like the party was officially over for Millie's friends, who were all standing now.

"Sadie", she looked round to find Finn talking directly to her again, almost unheard of up until tonight, "you should go after her."

"What?" she asked, confused.

"Millie...go after her" he said.

"But shouldn't you? You're her boyfriend..."

"No, I'm not" he said, with a half-smile, "and she'd want you to go after her, trust me."

Sadie was really confused now, but decided this wasn't the time to question it. "Where do you think she'd go?" she asked the guys.

"Try the kids park near her house, else call us if you can't find her, ok?" said Noah. Sadie just nodded and made her way out.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*