Chapter 32

Prom was only 2 weeks away, and it seems to be the talk of the school, not just with the popular kids and the wannabees either, everyone seemed to be buzzing about the idea. Millie was getting annoyed again by people coming up to her and saying what a great idea it was. Banging her head on the table at lunch she said "it wasn't even my fucking idea! What the hell is going on in this place...I'd have kept my mouth shut if I'd have known."

"I never pegged you for a drama queen, Millie" said Noah smirking, knowing how to push her buttons.

She immediately looked up and narrowed her eyes, "oh you bastard!" she said, shooting up out of her seat and starting to chase him around the tables. Everyone else just laughed, Noah knew exactly how to distract her. Something caught Millie's eye and she stopped chasing him, allowing him to return triumphantly to his lunch and pats on the back.

Sadie stood up to see what Millie was staring at, "what is it?" she asked Millie.

Millie turned away, "nothing, it's nothing" she replied, returning to their table.

Sadie took one more look in the direction Millie was looking at and saw, at the table in the farthest corner, Maddie sat by herself, facing away from the majority of the cafeteria. Sitting back down by Millie she studied her expression, careful not to let Millie know she was doing so. She looked pensive, tinged with something else Sadie couldn't quite work out, and was subdued for the rest of the day.

"What's wrong" Sadie asked her as they walked home together.

Millie just looked at her and shrugged, "I don't know."

"Anything you want to talk about?"

Millie fiddled with her hands, "no" she answered. Realising that Sadie still looked worried, she changed the subject, "do you really want to go to the prom with me?"

Sadie looked cross, "why the fuck would you ask me that?"

Millie was taken aback, "Oh, I, erm, just wanted to make sure?"

Sadie just sighed, "who else would I go with?"

"That wasn't really what I was asking" Millie tried to explain, and when Sadie looked confused she elaborated "I meant are you sure you want to go, full stop?"

"Ohhh, right, yes I want to go...don't you?"

"I've never been to anything like it, I just feel a bit self-conscious, ok?" she explained, feeling slightly embarrassed.

Sadie just rolled her eyes, but was grateful that Millie told her as getting her to open up sometimes felt like pulling teeth. "It'll be awesome...and if not, then we can sneak away and have our own fun" she said, winking.

Millie smirked. "So, um, what are we going to wear?"

"I want you to wear that sundress you wore, the first day I met you...I mean, really met you, in the park."

Millie looked down, blushing, "ok."

*~~~~~~~~~~*

Next day at school the gang were all waiting on Millie at their usual lunch table. They saw her approaching with her lunch tray and smiled at her, looking back at them she gave them an awkward, almost apologetic look, and just kept on walking. They looked at each other and then back at Millie, craning their necks to see where she was headed.

"Wow" said Gaten, breaking the awkward silence that descended on their table when they watched Millie sit down.

They weren't the only ones watching. Millie was obviously well known in the school, and to see her walk away from her usual table caught quite a few eyes that watched as she made her way across the entire cafeteria, to the farthest corner, to the lone figure sat facing the wall. Millie paused for a second, took a deep breath, then sat down right next to Maddie, who looked over at her in clear shock. She could hear the ripples of gasps and conversations spring up and spread behind her. Millie said nothing, didn't even look at her, and started eating her lunch. Everyone was watching them, and for a few minutes they both just sat in silence, staring resolutely at the wall in front of them. And then Maddie started shaking and broke down into uncontrollable tears. Millie said nothing, instead she slowly put her arm around Maddie's shoulders and pulled her sideways into a comforting hug, resting Maddie's head on her shoulder. Maddie turned into the hug and Millie put both arms around her, holding her tight. "I'm so sorry, Millie, I'm sorry, please, I would never have...if I'd known..."