Chapter 31

They'd been back at school for a few weeks and things had finally started to settle down a bit. Millie could walk the halls without feeling as if everyone was watching her or whispering about her. She knew that she would now always be 'that girl' but she could handle that, as long as people at least attempted to act normally and got on with their own lives. An unintended consequence that she hadn't foreseen was people's need to come and confess things to her, like she was suddenly some wise agony aunt, and she hated it. "I've got my own fucking problems to deal with. Seriously, if another person comes out to me I'm going to scream...I mean, how many bloody gay people can there be in one school!?"

Sadie just laughed at that comment, "seriously?" she giggled. She knew Millie was just frustrated, wanting things to go back to normal straight away, but she also knew that Millie was smart enough to know that couldn't happen.

"Sorry, I'm cranky today..."

"I think I know how to distract you" Sadie said winking, and pulling her into an empty classroom. Millie just went with it, a goofy grin on her face. "See" said Sadie between kisses, "told you so..." she added smugly.

*~~~~~~~~~~*

Lessons had returned to normal, the debates were allowed to continue but were much more strictly controlled, as in students weren't allowed to be in charge of deciding both topic and participants. Being in the same class as Maddie was torture for them, despite that fact that Millie had shown her up to the whole school, and they all knew what a bitch she was, it didn't make them feel any better. However, Millie had accomplished one of her goals, when Marina started openly, and bravely, telling people that she was pregnant, the general response was positive with most students going out of their way with offers of help and support. Marina felt like she owed Millie but that she would never be able to repay this particular debt, "I mean, how on earth will I ever be able to give her something, or do something, that will come close to what she's done for me?" she asked Sadie and the guys at lunch one day.

"I don't think she's really expecting anything in return" said Finn, "it's not really her style, it's not why she did it."

"I guess, but...I don't know, I was thinking maybe she deserves something" she pondered. "What do you think, Sadie?"

She deserves all the happiness in the world, and I'm going to make sure that's what she gets. "I think Finn is right, she'd feel uncomfortable if you made a big thing out of it, she did it to help, it's what she does" Sadie said, shrugging.

"Ok...well, if you guys are sure" accepted Marina.

At just that moment Millie joined them with her lunch, "hey, what's up?" she said, without much feeling.

"Hey" replied Sadie, smiling, "any more closets being firmly come out of?"

"Not funny" Millie pouted, shoving Sadie's shoulder.

Sadie just giggled and shrugged innocently in return, "what did I say?" she asked in mock offense.

"Hey, guys, changing the subject, did you see the prom posters go up?" asked Marina, glancing over at Finn, Millie noticed.

"Urgh" groaned almost everyone at the table.

"What 'urgh'?" asked Sadie.

"It's not exactly our scene" explained Caleb, "you know, like traditionally we've stayed away from cheesy school crap like that." Seeing Marina's expression falter, Finn discretely whacked him across his stomach, Caleb giving him a 'what the fuck, bro?' look.

"O...oh" Marina said, looking disappointed, "I've always quite enjoyed going to be honest, chance to have fun with friends and all that." She looked down sadly, reminiscing about the good times she'd had in previous years.

"What's the theme?" asked Sadie, hoping to lift her mood again, knowing that she was subject to mood swings with the pregnancy.

"Oh, I didn't really see, sorry." She craned her neck and looked around the cafeteria, "look, there's a poster there, I'll go grab it," and with that she walked over to the notice board and took it back to the table. She read it on the way and they saw her break into a grin as she approached and put it down triumphantly. They all leaned over to read the poster.

"Come as you are...what kind of theme is that?" said Noah, not bothering to read any further.

"Idiot" said Caleb, "you actually have to read the rest!"

"Why? I know you'll do it for me...ow" responded Noah to the dead arm he'd been given, "mouthbreather" he said, smirking.

"Ok, come as you are, no dress code. Calling all skater boys and girls, jocks, nerds, geeks, freaks, emos, and everything in between or out there, come as the person you truly are, wearing the skin you are most comfortable in...wow" said Gaten.

They all couldn't help but glance at Millie who proceeded to bang her head on the table, "oh for fucks sake" she exclaimed, "I've ruined senior prom...there's no coming back from this."

"What the hell are you taking about? It's awesome!" insisted Marina, "you should be proud, I think your...you know, thing...started a lot of people thinking. Proms are great if you are popular, love wearing pretty dresses that cost a small fortune, have a boyfriend, etc...but they can be pretty fucking excluding for anyone who doesn't fit that mold...so yeah, I think it's great."

Millie lifted her head slightly, "really?" she asked hopefully, the grimace still evident on her face.

"Yes, and I for one can't wait to go, despite this" she said, gesturing to the slight bump they knew was there. Millie took a sly look over at Finn and noted his thoughtful, yet hopeful expression, and smiled to herself. She then stole a glance at Sadie, oh shit she said to herself.

*~~~~~~~~~~*

Later that evening Millie was sitting on Sadie's floor, having just finished a tricky assignment they'd been set.

"Um, Sadie?" Millie said awkwardly. She was fiddling with her hands and biting her nails, a sure sign that she was nervous.

"Yes? Are you ok?" asked Sadie, slightly worried, trying to work out what could have caused this.

"You know, the, um, the...thing, well...would you, like, come with me..." Sadie shrugged and raised her eyebrows, with no idea what she was being asked. "Shit, would you go to the prom with me?"

Sadie just burst out laughing, immediately causing Millie's face to fall. "No! no, I'm not laughing at you."

"Then what?"

"I'm laughing at the fact that you felt the need to ask me in the first place, I always thought we would go together...and...ok, yes, I'm laughing at the way you did it too," she said, starting to laugh again, this time at Millie's mock hurt.

"Cool."

"Cool."

After a few seconds of silence, "...so is that a yes?" Millie pressed, genuinely panicking and unsure.

"Yes, you idiot!" spelled out Sadie, rolling her eyes and bring her in for an affectionate hug.

*~~~~~~~~~~*