CHAPTER 13 | birth of an army

"Wow, that's some radical shit," said Michele as they cleared the bio-scanners that gave them access to the Bunker. "Even Jason Borne would have a tough time getting in."

Daniel's brows knitted together. "Who?" The woman was becoming stranger by the minute.

At first, he was sure Michele was going to reject the idea of going anywhere with him. Something in her history must have made her suspicious of everyone, especially those in authority. The way swear words just rolled of her tongue was a unique dialectal in itself, and Daniel understood the compulsion of parents to wash their children's mouth out with soap when they used profanity. However, she was not his child, nor his concern, so he ignored the language the best he could.

Daniel led her through the next set of doors which opened up into the main floor which housed the banks of monitors and people.

"You must be Michele," said Parker as she approached them. "I'm Parker Johnson, welcome to the Bunker."

Michele glanced around the room. The wariness hadn't subsided. In fact, it had escalated the moment they left Nederland. Whatever had happened in her past had scarred her for life. She clutched her messenger bag tighter around her and nodded. "You the hacker." It was more of a statement than a question.

Parker tilted her head and smiled. "I prefer to call it security specialist." She indicated towards a chair. "If you will just take a seat, Alpha Locke and I will be back in a moment, and we'll get started."

Curious, he followed Parker to her office. After she closed the door, she turned to him so that her back was to the main office beyond. "After your call, I did a bit of digging. I have no idea about what she's like in the Werewolf community, but in the human world, our guest appears to be very good at her job. She doesn't have a record and doesn't leave much of a digital footprint." Parker whipped her head around and watched as Jay gave Michele a tour of the facility. "So, do you really think Carbine knew something?"

"I'm not sure, but whatever is going on, it's spooked her, and I suspect she's not one easily scared"

Parker turned back and gave him a light punch in the arm. "You know you're still not forgiven for this morning."

Daniel chuckled. "I didn't expect to be."

"You didn't need to have Jo follow me."

He shrugged his shoulders. "It was that, or lock you in the house. I chose self-preservation over your wrath."

Parker placed a hand on his chest. "We'll talk about this later. Right now, we need to find out what's on that laptop."

As they stepped out of Parker's office they heard Michele ask, "Yes, but what I don't understand, is the purpose of this place."

Jay, unsure of just how much to say, looked nervously across at Daniel and Parker. Daniel, putting the young Werewolf out of his misery, stepped forward and explained the reason why the bunker had been set up.

"And all this for keeping one pack's identification up-to-date and finding them work?" said Michele, once he was finished.

Before he could answer, Parker cut into the conversation. "No, I think you misunderstood Alpha Locke. The purpose of the Bunker is to help all Were's, no matter whether they are pack or not; Alliance or not."

Daniel held back a grin. While she was still mad at him, she was ready to defend him to the hilt. At least her anger was directed at someone other than him for once.

Michele, after letting a few choice swear words loose, remained silent as she wandered around the desks and made her way to the bank of giant screens. "So, your saying that everyone here is from different packs, and you are training them how to hack into databases?"