CHAPTER 27 | it doesn't rain, but it pours

Daniel skidded to a halt just outside the library entrance. His heart pumped in his chest. They had found the traitor. Just not the one they thought it was. He was kicking himself for not realizing this earlier.

Tamas, a quiet lurker, never committed himself to any topic and was always the last to agree to any council decision. The signs where there, how did he not see it? When he surveyed the quiet street, he frowned. Where the hell did he go?

Simon, who had been leaning against the wall, stood up and pocked his phone. "What's the matter?"

"Which way did Alpha Tamas go?"

Simon's brows rose at Daniel's sharp voice. He indicated towards where they had come. "He went that way in a hurry. Something about an emergency with one of his beta's"

"Shit!"

After thirty minutes of scouring the entire town and interrogating any pack member they came upon, Daniel had to admit defeat. Tamas was well and truly gone. It was as if he had disappeared into thin air. He headed back to the library, leaving Simon and the others to continue the search. Perhaps Abraham would have an idea where the traitor might have headed?

When he arrived at the library, Parker, Morgan, and a weakened looking Abraham was waiting outside.

"He's gone," Daniel said. He stopped in front of Abraham and hesitated. The elderly werewolf looked so frail that a gust of wind would sweep him away.

How did we ever believe he was behind this?

He took a deep breath. "We need to find out who else is missing. Tamas can't have done this on his own. We have to know just how deep the rot goes into your pack."

Abraham's eyes glazed over and sorrow etched into his face. The acute pain at the betrayal of not only one of their own, but his own flesh and blood must be tearing him apart. Daniel wasn't sure if the elder werewolf was able to cope with the shock of the situation they now found themselves in. He looked to Morgan and wasn't surprised to discover he too reflected concern for Abraham.

Abraham clutched tighter onto his cane. His frail form shook and Morgan stepped forward as if to catch him if he fell.

"Perhaps you should sit," Morgan said.

Abraham's eyes cleared and he glanced around with a confused expression. "There must be some sort of explanation."

Morgan placed a hand on Abraham's shoulder. "Then help us find it," he said.

Abraham's watery eyes blinked a few times before his forehead crinkled. "Tamas was brought up to protect our people, not destroy them."

"Perhaps he had no choice?" said Morgan in a half whisper.

Daniel clenched his fists and kept his thoughts to himself. There was always a choice.

Careful to keep his emotions in check, Daniel cleared his throat. "We need to find him before word gets out. We'll need to speak to anyone who might know what he was up to and where he might have gone."

"And we'll need access to his office and any computers he may have used," said Parker.

Simon pushed through their link. It looks like three betas are also missing.

Find out what you can and get back to me.

Daniel severed the connection. What if there's more? The situation was going to rip the pack apart. However, right now this was the least of their problems. They needed free reign of the pack's property, Tamas's house and office. "Do you give us permission?"