CHAPTER 35 | wounds

📎A/N. WARNING WARNING WARNING.... THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER.

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Parker tapped her earpiece and attempted to keep her face devoid of emotion. They needed her to be strong. No matter how much she was dying inside.

"Are they done?" asked Jay. He, along with Zeke, had just finished dismantling and packing up the drones.

She held back the tears, hauled in a shaky breath and nodded. The effort to stay focused was killing her.

It was nearly dawn, and Daniel had just checked in to let her know the last bodies were now on their way back to their packs. He and the teams left behind would head to the religious retreat to regroup and plan their next step.

A sharp ache ripped at her chest, and she broke out in a cold sweat. She needed him right now just as much as he needed her. They were both in so much pain.

Alice rubbed her hand up and down Parker's arm. "You okay?"

She bit her lip and stared at the stack of laptops, ready to be taken out to the car. They had supplied her with front row seat to give them advance warning and to allow her, Jay and Zeke to deliver their payload. It had also allowed them to bear witness to one tragedy after another.

Morgan's death had ripped her soul raw. He was like a father to her. To witness it the way she did... She squeezed her eyes shut.

Daniel, I need you.

There was a tug at her other arm. "Here, love, this might help."

She opened them again to discover Marie beside her. A cup of tea in one hand and a shot of whiskey in the other.

Joe's waitress was sweet, but it was far too late for tea. She grabbed the shot glass and downed it in a single gulp.

"Leave her the fucking bottle, she looks like she needs it," called out Michelle from across the room.

Marie rolled her eyes the same way Parker's mother used to and wandered back to the small kitchen off the bar.

Alice pushed her hands into her coat pockets. Her eyes were full of sorrow. Not only for the loss of Morgan but for each life she failed to save. "Are you sure you don't want a sedative?"

She shook her head. They still needed to be vigilant. Elise was still out there. Daniel and the others were too late. By the time they stormed the hospital's east wing, Elise was gone. Leaving behind chaos and nearly a dozen women chained and bound. It would take time to work out what exactly had occurred in the bowels of the hospital. Parker suspected none of them were quite prepared for the horror that would undoubtedly unfold with each of the woman's stories.

Daniel's fury at the discovery was felt for miles. Elise had again been one step ahead. She didn't need to be able to communicate telepathically to understand the source of his fury. There were more traitors in their midst. How else could she have gotten away without a trace?

"Have you heard from the retreat?" Parker asked, changing the subject.

She pushed her grief to the darkest corner of her mind and gave it a gentle caress before she locked the door on it. They would mourn later. Once they had secured their people and ensured they were no longer at risk.

Alice's worry lines became more predominant. "They've been using the leftover silver water to clean the wounds. It looks like it's working, but we won't know for sure for a while. Most of the wounded are in a comatose state. Ernest is just loading up the last of the walking triage patients now, and we'll head back to the retreat to work out what we do next."