CHAPTER 16 | enemy at the gates?

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies. 

Happy Mothers day to all you mothers out there. I hope you had/have a great day and are pampered by your families. The flowers are for you :-)

❤ ℳ

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Daniel ignored the call from Jo, his beta, and focused on the meeting. Locke Construction were halfway through the development of a commercial building when the city council changed the rules for its energy code. Some paper pusher, in their wisdom, had decided to backdate the changes, and thereby effectively shutting down the majority of construction sites across the city for non-compliance.

The affected companies were not about to take this lying down and managed to convene a special session of the city council to argue their case. For Daniel, the timing was less than ideal. There was enough going on with the Lycan attacks to keep him wholly occupied. This was just another distraction he didn't need.

His phone vibrated again, and he checked the caller id, only to discover another missed call from his beta. He again ignored it and weighed in on the heated discussion. If it was important, she knew to message him.

When he finally left the council chambers, four hours later, Daniel was in a much better mood than when he entered.

"I can't believe it took them that long to see sense," said Andy Lisowski, the owner of one of Locke Constructions competitors. "I have a good mind to sue for damages."

Daniel shrugged his shoulders. "But they did, and that's all that matters at the end of the day."

Lisowski scratched the back of his head and nodded. "Yep, but look how much money we lost in the interim."

When Daniel's phone vibrated again, he reached for it, thankful he had an excuse to leave before the others wandered over to join the conversation. They had been around a lot longer than Lisowski and begun to comment on how he never seemed to age. Perhaps it was time for Martin to step back into the role? It had been twenty-five years, and none of the current batch of people within the industry were around when Daniel stepped back into the role he'd rotated with Martin, his sister's mate, for the past century.

He made his excuses and headed towards the entrance. "Report."

"We may have a problem," said Jo.

What now?

"Not long after you left this morning, a car turn off the main road. We just thought that someone had made a wrong turn, so security closed the gates."

Daniel frowned. This was standard practice, so he wasn't sure why she was telling him this. "Continue," he said.

"They called me down when the driver was stopped and refused to leave. Turns out, the woman is after you and Alpha Johnson. I told her neither of you were here, and as she was on private property, she had to leave."

"Did you get her name?"

"Dr. Petra Baghurst."

At hearing this, Daniel picked up his pace and headed out the main doors. "What did she want?"

"She didn't say, but she refused to leave. She said she'd wait all day if she had to."

Daniel checked his watch. "Do you mean to tell me she's still at the gates?"

"'Fraid so."

"On my way. Do not let her in," said Daniel before he ended the call.

Just what I need.