Escape - Chapter 4

I’m running.

I don’t know where, I don’t know why. I just keep running.

There’s a noise behind me, but I can’t seem to turn to look at who or what it is.

My lungs burn and I can’t feel my legs anymore, yet I can’t bring myself to stop running. If I stop, it’s the end, I’m dead.

Arms wrap around me and –

“We’re here.”

My eyes snap open, and I move, trying to shake away the remnants of the dream.

“Are you alright?” Andrea asks, trying to check my bandages. “Does anything hurt?”

I shake my head.

“You’re drenched!” She exclaims as she makes contact with my skin, which is covered with sweat, not as bad as she claims, but it is alarming.

“Just a bad dream,” I mumble, looking away. I don’t even remember the dream.

Markus is already outside my door, he opens it and stands there. I look at him, unsure of what to do. We’re at another clearing, similar to where we were earlier today. The sun is setting and the air is chilly.

There’s a small wooden building that looks a lot like a garden shack in the middle of the clearing.

“We’ll be resting here today,” he says as Seal and Andrea get down, unloading the things at the back of the car.

“Won’t they get to us here?” I ask worriedly, looking at the forest, which is getting darker and darker by the moment.

“The Highest Society, though they can’t be seen by humans, try not to move in the morning.” He carries me once again before I can say a thing. “The Kaallans should be far away, and by the time they get close, it’d be morning and we’d be on the move already.”

I nod and immediately notice that the pain isn’t as great as before, though it is still present. I move a bit and his hand shifts to my ribs and I groan in pain. Okay, maybe I wasn’t healing as fast as I thought.

“We really need Leilani to see you,” he says as he tried to place me onto the bed as gently as possible. After, he goes to switch the lights on.

It’s pretty much the same as the last one. A bed, a cabinet – no doubt filled with weapons – and two chairs, one beside the door, and the other beside the window.

“Who’s Leilani?” I ask, trying to keep my mind off my problems at the moment.

“She’s a Rohiri,” Markus replies as Seal and Andrea enter the shack.

Before I’m able to ask about the Rohiri, Markus turns his attentions away from me and towards Seal and Andrea.

“Andrea, you’ll stay here with Solaris, try to get some sleep. Seal and I will be the lookouts, we rotate every two hours.” With a nod from the two, Markus heads outside, but not before I see him flexing his hand

Seal soon follows, after an odd look at me.

Once the door is closed, I spend a couple of very silent moments with Andrea. I catch her looking at me once or twice, and she quickly looks away, but I can feel her gaze when I’m not looking at her.

The only form of entertainment in this place is looking at how uneven the paint job is on the grey walls. Andrea remains quiet the entire time, fueling the fire of my boredom.