Escape - Chapter 11

“Ms. Cane?”

I look to the direction of Avery’s muffled voice, once again irate for my lack of sight. The door swings open – Dax probably opened it – and Avery steps inside.

“We’re moving.” Avery says and I feel arms wrap around my waist and I’m slung unto someone’s shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

“Couldn’t you have carried me nicer?” I drawl, my hair brushing past my arms in the position I’m in.

“Didn’t want to.” Dax replies, with a sigh.

Earlier today, Avery had me changed into a dress. All I could tell was that it’s a long sleeved dress, with intricately stitched designs on the cloth and a full skirt that went until the floor. It’s comfortable enough, but hard to walk in, which made me think that maybe the dress is their way to make sure I don’t run. I had asked her why I didn’t feel any pain from my bruises, and she had told me that they had healed me already.

“Where is that damned Raellician?” I hear someone shout angrily moments after Dax begins to walk.

“He’s probably out on a walk with Mr. Leigh, Novak.” Dax turns to the direction of the voice, I notice his voice becoming low.

“But Illvara needs to be fed so that we won’t just drop out of the sky.” The man – Novak – replies, sighing exasperatedly. I resisted the urge to giggle, it sounded like he did this everyday.

“Well, I’m sure, if he’s really with Claudius, then he’s been fed.” Avery assures Novak. “Besides, no matter how irresponsible Illvara is, he doesn’t forget to eat.”

“You have no idea, Avery.” Novak replies, most likely rolling his eyes. “That’s why I’m his handler.” He pauses. “What’s up with her? Is she dead?”

“Of course not -” Dax is cut off mid protest.

“Hey, you never know.” Novak replies, his voice drifting away, footsteps getting farther and farther.

Dax’s shoulders rise as I hear him release a deep breath. “I will never understand how that man thinks.”

“He’s new, so don’t patronize him.” Avery scolds.

“I am not patronizing the man!” Dax replies defensively as we start moving again. “We just don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things.”

“You mean everything.” Avery mutters. Her head is closer to mine, which meant that Dax is quite tall.

We walk for a few more minutes. Going down the stairs and going left and right through corridors, making me wonder exactly how big the place is.

“All the blood is rushing to my head.” I say, my words slurring because I’m getting dizzy.

“We’re here anyways.” Dax sets me down, and my knees buckle, but I don’t fall because he’s holding my arm. Tingles go down my arm as the blood goes back to its normal circulation. “Deep breaths.”

“I really don’t like you.” I murmur as I shake my head, trying to shake the feeling of wanting to vomit off.

“You’ll get the hang of me. I tend to rub off on people.” His entertainment is evident in his voice.

“I don’t want to.” I whine, getting very annoyed at the man. He says nothing, though I suspect that he’s probably smiling smugly right now.

If I wasn’t blind… Well, honestly, I don’t think I could’ve done anything anyway.

I wish that Markus would get here soon.

“Tamara!” Avery shouts a little farther from behind us.