Escape - Chapter 7

It’s funny what people do to escape pain.

Some inflict self harm in an attempt to gain at least some semblance of control, thinking that if they can control the pain outside, the pain inside will eventually be overpowered. Some give others pain to run from their own. Others, well, others simply endure.

I would be in the last one.

Why? Honestly? Because I can’t even do anything else but that.

Within minutes of arriving in Ovia, my body had convulsed and purged and is still doing it.

My bones are like glass, and movement is so painful that I’m forced to keep still despite the pain. My lungs are on fire and the air I take in goes from cool refreshment into antagonizing flames. The beating of my heart is rapid, trying to get the process done immediately to stop the pain. Sweat oozes off my skin but it does nothing to ease the heat.

I keep my eyes open, because the pain seems more intense when they’re closed.

Through the tear blurred vision of my eyes, I focus on the massive floating rocks above, keeping my mind busy.

I’m counting.

Nineteen… twenty… twenty one… twenty two… twenty three… twenty four… twenty five… twenty six… twenty seven… twenty…

I’m lost.

What number am I on?

I carefully turn my head slightly until I’m facing the fight, my focus shifting. Obviously, counting isn’t working.

Seeing Andrea in action is definitely awe inspiring. She’s tossing Kaallans here and there, and when I say tossing, I mean literally. She lifts them by the neck or paw and throws them to the side like they are nothing but sticks and does it again when they come back. If I’m not in so much pain, I’d be laughing at the moment. Now I understand why her preferred weapon is a spear. She has the strength to really throw it, despite her thin frame.

Seal in battle, on the other hand, is a different kind of interesting. Sparks flit through the air as lightning leaves his fingertips. The cracking sound is followed by a smell of fresh air, which almost masked the scent of blood.

My eyes move to look for Markus, but I can’t find him at all. Nor can I see Claudius.

Then, a thought occurs to me.

Now is the time to flee.

Everyone’s distracted and no one should notice me.

I rolled over and waited until the dizziness of the movement left me. I had stopped vomiting, because there was nothing else to vomit, but sweat still covered my skin and my body still feels as if it’s on fire.

Having blinked away the tears, I could now see and clearly hear the river. The current looks to be weak, and so I might be able to cross it.

I’m not sure of what will happen, but I know it’s better than being on the ground, waiting to be saved. So, despite the pain, I crawl to the river that’s a couple of feet away.

Reaching out, my shaking hand makes contact with the surface of the water. It’s cool and very refreshing, I find myself wanting nothing more but to jump in.

I’m already in the river when I realize my mistake.

The river is deeper than I thought and I’m sinking. I kick my legs and systematically move my arms.

Back and forth. Back and forth.

I gasp as I break through the surface, air once again filling my lungs. The heat it causes me is cooled down by the river. But it’s getting cold. Too cold.