2. glare

There is freedom waiting for you,
On the breezes of the sky,
And you ask "What if I fall?"
Oh but my darling,
What if you fly?" 
― erin hanson  

jimin woke up early, before the sun had even started to rise, sliding out of his warm bed with a groan. his back ached, scratched up from the wall he had been pressed up against the night before. it all had happened so fast, he thought, as he turned the shower on. one moment he was cowering, terrified of what the drunk men would do, the next namjoon was holding him, asking if he was okay. 

namjoon had left his apartment at 1 a.m, the adrenaline from the night's events making them both have way too much energy just to crash an hour or two later. the older man had seen jimin yawning out of the corner of his eye and made moves to leave, even though the other boy insisted he wasn't sleepy. truthfully, he had been so tired that he could've slept right there on the living room floor but he was still a little jumpy and having namjoon around helped. 

he stepped under the warm spray and the memory of how namjoon's friend had smiled so sweetly as he held a blade to the man's throat flashed in his mind. he looked almost feral, eyes glinting in the darkness of the alley, and even from feet away, jimin could see just how sharp the knife was. but namjoon hadn't reacted at all, he went straight to jimin, not even flinching at the whimper that came from behind them. 

the blonde was truly grateful though, and he let that be known, saying thank you periodically throughout the night, because he had to make sure namjoon knew. the older just smiled a bit each time, deep dimples on display, something jimin hadn't really noticed until that night. namjoon had a very nice smile.

he got dressed to the sound of an old michael jackson record, packing up his gym bag with ease. jimin taught dance classes every saturday, to a mix of kids, some who genuinely liked dance and others who were forced by their parents. he tried his hardest to make it fun, wacking out outrageous props and doing silly moves whenever he got the chance. he adored all of them, with their bright smiles with missing teeth and clumsy limbs. 

he hesitated at the front door for a few seconds, before grabbing the big black jacket that namjoon had left, sighing softly when he wrapped himself in it. there were tons of patches on it with acronyms and drawings that jimin didn't understand but it smelt like the older man and he reveled in it, no matter how creepy it sounded. 

the walk to the studio was short, he could see the bright white building from a few blocks away, and the logo- big hit in bold black letters. the company was brimming with talent and when jimin came to teach, it blew him away each and every time. there were rooms full of dancers, singers, and all in all talented musicians, plenty that had been scouted from agents all over the world. sometimes he wondered if that could've happened for him years ago, when everything was different. 

in his still sleepy haze, he let his thoughts travel and his body was on autopilot until he felt his shoulder crash into someone's chest, his head bumping against the other's jaw with slight force. he fumbled, stepping back quickly, hands shaking already because this was really too much confrontation to deal with 2 days in a row. 

a man with black hair pushed to one side and round eyes glared down at him, and he gulped, mentally cursing his absentmindedness. the man looked like he was a second away from absolutely snapping, fists clenched tightly. his arm muscles flexed, a vein popping out on his neck, and jimin knew for sure that this man could crush him quite easily. but his face relaxed, quickly as if he had never been angry in the first place. he looked the blonde up and down like he was remembering him even though jimin was sure they had never met before.