7. flood

I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. 

It is too long ago. 

I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.

― jane austen  

(quick warnings for this chapter: violence and recreational use of drugs) 

the halls were quiet as jimin flicked off the light switch, closing the practice room door for the day. he swept his sweaty hair off of his forehead, saying a quiet goodnight to a janitor as he exited the building. he hummed happily, looking up into the night sky, tons of bright stars reflecting back at him. there were more than usual, a vast sea of tiny white dots, and it was beautiful. 

"the sky looks cool, right?" a soft voice murmured from behind him and he jumped, grabbing at his chest in surprise. 

jungkook was leaning against the wall, taking his last drag from a cigarette, head cocked to the side. he tossed it down to stub it out with his boot, continuing on, "i saw a bit of your class today, your students are really advanced." 

"thank you. they're all very talented and work really hard." the blonde said, before shrugging, "i just teach them the routines." 

"you should give yourself more credit." the black haired man smirked, taking a step forward, "shi hyuk is always praising you." 

his mouth dropped open in surprise, "do you call him that to his face?? i've been calling him mr. bang for the past 4 years." 

"i told you i know the people who run the place." jungkook laughed at his shocked expression, hauling a black duffle over his shoulder. 

"and of course i should've known that means the ceo himself." he rolled his eyes, getting another chuckle in return. 

"are you heading home?" the other questioned, stepping forward when jimin nodded, "i can drive you." 

"oh you don't have to do that, jungkook." he shook his head with a slight smile, "i should be fine it's really not that far." 

"i don't mind." he insisted, "plus it's getting late, and you've seen the news nowadays." 

jimin thought back to the two men that had harassed him in the alley, with their glazed over eyes and shivered violently. "thank you." he breathed, following after him when he walked toward the parking lot. 

"no problem." jungkook flashed his bunny smile, "namjoon just got me a new car so you gave me a chance to show off." 

"a new one?" the blonde furrowed his brows, "what happened to the old one?" 

"there was..." and it seemed like he was holding back a self-satisfied smirk, "a bit of water damage." 

"oh." jimin blinked, tilting his head, "but there hasn't been any floods?" 

the conversation was cut off by a loud noise that echoed across the almost empty lot. the smaller man jumped in surprise, but jungkook just turned, eyes narrowed as they searched for the source of the sound. it was dark, too dark for jimin's liking because when a hand shot out to try to grab him, he didn't even see it coming. he felt someone grip his wrist and pull, and screamed out of pure fear. 

a strong hand was clenched onto the back of his shirt, as his attacker held him like a shield against their body. he felt something cold press against his temple and looked over at jungkook, mouth opening in a silent scream as he started to panic.