Ten

Chris and Nicole’s apartment was the complete opposite of my parent’s house. First of all it’s an apartment, obviously, and it’s just outside of London. The walls in my parents’ house were all white, in the apartment they all have a different color. In my parents’ house, all the cutlery, cups, plates and pots and pans all seemed to match together. The kitchen in the apartment was filled with striped bowls and plates, colored cups and forks and knifes that all seemed to come from a different source. I absolutely loved the apartment; it was imperfect and had a happy feeling to it. I felt as if I belonged here.

“I’ll make some more.” Jackie said

Jackie and I were eating pancakes with syrup in the kitchen, it was Sunday morning after all. She told me that our pancake tradition had started 2 years ago, when we had our first sleepover at her house. Our first sleepover had taken place after Emma’s 14th birthday party. Emma was one of the popular girls in our school, whenever one of the cool kids had a party they invited the entire year which consisted of about 60 students and the lower and upper year. It ended at 1AM and at the time I wasn’t allowed to go on the train by myself so I had to crash at Jackie’s for the night.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, taking me away from my flashback and I looked at the screen and saw it was a text message from Zayn. I was surprised, I hadn’t heard anything from him in ages.

Want to talk, starbucks at 2? X

I smiled as I read the text.

I’ll be there x

I put my phone back in my pocket. I couldn’t wait to talk to him. Zayn and the boys were leaving to America tomorrow night for a whole month. I was going to miss him so much.

“Can you pass the syrup?” Jackie asked as she threw the pancakes onto her plate “Who was that?”

“Zayn wants to meet up at Starbucks at 2” I said as I grabbed the syrup from the cabinet above the stove, placed it onto the table and sat down besides Jackie.

“I thought you guys weren’t talking?” Jackie asked as she took a bite out of her pancake

“No, well yes… but he’s probably just been busy.” I said, not sure if I was trying to convince her or myself. “I’m sure it’s fine”

It was true, Zayn and I hadn’t spoken in a whole week, not even texted.  I was starting to get worried something was wrong. On top of that, the internet had turned against me completely. Half of the messages sent to me on twitter were filled death threats and hate and the tabloids seemed to think I was a selfish monster. It’s like they have forgotten I’m human, not an object, and that their words hurt my feelings.

I cried myself to sleep last night, there was this girl constantly sending me pictures of Rebecca Ferguson and Zayn and she was saying that I had ruined their relationship, even though I hadn’t even met Zayn until after he finished X Factor and broke up with Rebecca.

After breakfast Jackie and I put out plates into the dishwasher and went into my room. The apartment had one floor and two rooms, the one I had turned into my own used to be Chris’ study but he now worked in the living room. The room was a lot smaller than my old one but I loved it. The walls were painted light blue and I had covered them with pictures of my friends and posters of my idols, something I wasn’t allowed to do in my old room.

“Liz, I think you should see this” Jackie muttered

I sat down on the bed expecting to see something hilarious, but it wasn’t. When you’re in love, it feels like there’s this pick fuzzy ball in your chest at all times and you feel full and complete. It was like my heart fell down into my stomach, I felt empty and it hurt on the inside. On the screen there was a picture of Perrie Edwards from Little Mix leaving Zayn’s apartment. I didn’t know much about her, just that she and her group won XFactor a few weeks ago. She looked like she had just woken up and her hair was tied up in a messy bun.