Coming To A Close Part 2- Liam

Confusion filled my mind. 

"Wait, you want me to what?" I almost shouted. 

"I believe you heard me Sir" The Water demon said perfectly carmly, like we were not talking about my or its death. 

"Hurry Sir, if you don't decide soon then she'll eat us both" The creature told me. 

The logical side of me told me, to let the water demon sacrife itself, it was my quest, my friends were depending on me. 

"Hurry Sir" 

But....

But how could I let him die. His the first monster I met that hadn't wanted to kill me...I couldn't just let him die. 

"Sir!" 

Could I?

The shape in the water grew and grew, a strange scaly nose poked its way up from the water making me freeze in terror. 

It rose out of the water and soon, two big red eyes were looking straight at me. 

I had to choose and I had to choose now!

"Sir Hurry" The water demon cried. 

The water monster bagan to slowly swim closer and closer towards us. 

I noticed tenticles reaching towards us from the water underneath us. 

"Sir-!" 

"Okay! Okay!" I took a deep breath and blurted "Sacrife me, you can go and see your family again" 

The water demons eyes widened at what I said then it said almost sadly but was smiling? "Very good Sir" 

Suddenly before I could move he pushed me backwards into the water then he moved towards the tencles and they grabbed him and pulled him under. I couldn't understand what was happening! I said I was the sacrife! Not the water demon that helped me!

Suddenly everything was silent, she was gone and so was my friend. 

Friend?

Since when had the water demon become my friend?

We'd only been with each other for a couple of minutes, he was a stranger, really, a stranger who had sacrifeced himself for me. 

Who knew the kindness of strangers?

I let out a gasp as a voice filled with pure power echoed inside my head, was I going mad?

Not any madder than you already are, young Demigod, the voice laced with light amusment. 

"Who are you?" I whispered, trying not to choke on water. 

I have many names but they will mean nothing to you in the present son of the earth. 

"I'm not the son of earth" I said. 

"Yet is it not where your metal that sons of Hespestus love to build amazing projects, from the earth? Godling?" 

"I-I guess so" I said, surprised at the georgrapy lesson. 

I frowned, thinking of the water demon, why-

"It was his fate and part of these deadly, unfair tests. It was testing how self sacrifing you were, most hero's in the past were brave and noble but that is all, they would sacrife anything for their friends but strangers? No, Never, you would have to have something special to sacrife yourself for a stranger, as you have just done" 

I muttered "He saved me, could I have saved him? He had a family-"

"I believe that young demigod was a lie, his family are all dead"

My eyes widened in horror and sick realisation "So when he said he would see them soon-?"

"Yes, when he first saw you he knew you were the hero who would get through the maze's tests, he knew that from then on he would die"

I said shaking my head "I don't understand" 

"I hope this will help you, the test was really the opposite from what happened, if you told him that he should sacrife himself then he would have to give you as a sacrife to her but if you said you sacrificed yourself then then he would be in your place, only the self sacrifing godlings that are so pure and kind at heart, that they would give their lives for a stranger, survive this part of the test" 

 It slowly sank in.  I shuddered in the cold water my eyes watered for the creature that had saved my life, then I suddenly realised how weak my arms and legs were going, while trying to stay afloat. 

 That as I regerstared more of the beings words I spluttard "Wait? This part of the test? There's more?!" 

"Unfortunently but fortunally for you, you will not be partaking in it, two of your friends need your help, one trapped down under, another falling into the maddness of his own mind, you can come with me to save only one of them or I can transport you to the end of the maze and you can wait for your friends there, if they survive that is, the choice, is yours..."