Nine - Living Life

Hiccup stares at Edge as they stand in the cove, at a loss for words. He had convinced her to come here with him once she caught him and Toothless in the act in the middle of the village.

Edge has her arms crossed, a look of expectation on her face. Toothless looks back and forth between the two best friends, waiting for something to happen.

"I- uh." Hiccup tries to say anything that will make Edge understand. She raises her eyebrow at his pathetic attempt, still quite unhappy with how he has been treating her lately.

"I know you've been training the Night Fury." She speaks for the first time since they started walking to the cove, and nods in the direction of Toothless. Hiccup flinches at her harsh tone and rubs the back of his neck in shame.

"I'm sorry." Edge says nothing after his apology.

"I should have told you sooner."

"Yeah, you should've." Edge sits down on a rock.

"So what's your excuse? You've had me waiting for a while." Edge pats the seat next to her as she speaks, urging Hiccup to sit down. When he does, Edge leans her head on his shoulder, sending relief through his body.

"I was scared and uncertain. You know how the village is. I couldn't let anyone find him." Hiccup explains, Toothless laying down in front of them with a heavy sigh. Edge lifts her head and looks at him.

When he turns his head her eyes are reflecting the night sky once again. Her dark skin looks enchanting, and she has her eyebrows furrowed.

"But Hiccup, you know we made a promise of eternal friendship. You just recently told me that the promise still stands, why would it be any different for me?" She says softly, grabbing his hand. She sounds sad, and Hiccup looks away to avoid the look in her eyes.

"Edge, besides you, Toothless is the only friend I've ever really had. I guess I was scared that he would be taken away from me..." Hiccup trails off. Edge squeezes his hand.

"And?" She asks.

"And uncertain whether you would be the one to do it." He admits with a heavy heart. Edge's grip on his hand loosens. A few moments of silence pass.

"Hiccup, look at me." Her voice is stern as she tugs on his hand. He complies, and is not shocked to find her with tears in her eyes, yet is surprised at her expression.

"Never- ever. Would I take away your happiness, Hiccup. You are the thing in the world that means most to me, and if you training that dragon- Toothless, makes you happy, then I will keep my lips sealed till the end of time." A tear falls from Edge's eye, and Hiccup is quick to wipe it away. He hesitates for a second, but pulls her in for a tight, loving hug.

As her arms reciprocate the action, Hiccup holds her even tighter, and contemplates never letting go.

A battered and burnt ship docks slowly at Berk island the next day. The lone ship is loaded with vikings- the Hooligan tribe, who look equally battered as their ship.

Edge comes sprinting down the boardwalk, worried sick for her parents' lives. She narrowly misses crashing into Chief Stoick and Gobber, and as her parents disembark, she collides with their figures in joy.

"Oh I'm so glad you're home!" She tells then with glee, smiling up at them. They laugh heartily at their youngest daughter, grab their duffle bags, and the three head towards their home. The trio is soon joined by the twins, who are also happy to see their parents alive and well.

Edge makes sure her parents are safe and asleep once they get home, having fed them and made their bed. She cleans their plates and clothes, puts away the duffle bags, spot cleans the house, and is out the door before her siblings can notice.