Chapter 4

Diamond sat at her desk as she watched everyone pack their boxes and stuff. She'd done that the day before. The mood in the place was sombre. She couldn't believe that this was the end.

"I've written the best recommendation letter for my favourite employee, as well as this bonus," she heard Sean say. She watched him walk towards her with a paper and envelope in his hands.

She sighed. "Who's this lucky person?"

He smirked. "Why of course it's you darling!"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "You're giving me a bonus?"

"Yes. We may be bankrupt, but you deserve it," he said, handing the paper and envelope over. She opened the envelope. The bonus wasn't much, but it would make a bit of a difference.

"Thank you Mr Rubin," she said. She didn't expect him to take her hand and place a kiss on it.

She almost threw up.

"You're most welcome Miss Carmichael," he said, winking, before walking away.

She couldn't have been more relieved when her awkward day ended. She just wanted to drown away her sorrows and forget about everything. Emery had already called to say that she would meet up with her later at Love Pink Drinks. She parked her car and headed inside, hoping to drink away her troubles.

Xavier looked up at the time on his laptop and sighed in frustration. While he didn't want to be anywhere but his office, he knew that his mother would have his head if he didn't show up to the ball.

He shut down his laptop and packed his stuff. Emery had already knocked off, meaning he was the last person besides security in the building. He went to his car and drove to his apartment since he'd given his driver time off for the holidays.

Changed in a tux, he was ready to head to the ball. He arrived at the hotel where the event was occurring and as expected, it was flooded by the press. It was the first time he was attending an event without a date, and that was enough to set them off as the valet drove away with his car.

Walking inside, he was hounded by different people who each wanted something from him, and he couldn't help but feel extremely bored. His mother was present, as well as his sister, whom he was more than happy to see. She'd taken a break from her travelling to come home for the holidays.

As per every ball, there was an auction occurring that night, and the Master of Ceremonies announced that it was time. Everyone moved off to their allocated seats as the bidding began. Once more, Xavier was uninterested, until the next thing to be auctioned captured his attention.

"And now we have The Fate of Destiny, a one of kind Grecian set of wedding rings. They were fashioned in 1103 in Greece and there are none like them in the world," the emcee announced as images of the set were displayed on the display screen.

Xavier would never know what had possessed him in that moment as he outbid everyone until the set was his. Something about it called to him, even if he didn't understand it. When the auction was over, all those who needed to, went to claim their newly earned belongings. Xavier held the velvet box delicately as he opened it to reveal the two beauties that sparkled as though they were newly polished beneath the chandelier.

The female wedding ring was made up of a huge ruby rock on a platinum band with sapphire, emerald and amber stones surrounding the ruby. The male ring was a platinum band with each of the four stones on the band.

Inside both rings was a different word with infinity signs on either side of the words. The female ring had the word 'Fate', while the male had the word 'Destiny'. He'd never seen anything like it.