Chapter 6

"What's wrong?" Xavier panicked.

"I can't remember anything beyond about six months before that night," she said lowly as the pain died down.

"Don't strain yourself until you're checked out," he replied. She nodded as the door was opened, revealing a man in a white coat.

"She's awake?" Dr Hyland asked in surprise.

"I was about to call you but she didn't want me to leave," Xavier explained. Dr Hyland understood.

"Well Mrs Kingston, welcome back to civilization," Dr Hyland said to her. Her whole face flushed at the title and she looked to Xavier, who just winked at her.

She smiled. "Uhm, hi."

"I'm Dr Hyland and I've been your doctor since you were brought in. It's great to finally see you awake," Dr Hyland said, laughing a little. She smiled as she brought her hands back down, only to gasp at the sight of the accessory on her finger.

"Holy sweet mother of all things shiny! This thing is beautiful!" she commented in awe, making Xavier smile.

"You are the envy of all the nurses in the building who have heard about and seen it. I believe the fact that Xavier here is your husband makes you even more envied. Your husband is a wonderful man who loves you and will seemingly do anything for you," Dr Hyland informed.

She could only blush even more as she looked at Xavier. What she didn't expect to find was the love in his eyes as he looked into her eyes. She was frankly overwhelmed by the feeling that shot through her from the look.

She'd never had anyone look at her like that before, or at least she didn't think she did since she couldn't very well remember. There was something about the way he was looking at her that made her know that she was the most important person to him in that moment.

What she couldn't understand was why.

"Even I'm jealous of myself," she joked. Dr Hyland and Xavier were confused by her words, but she gave Xavier a look that said that she would explain later.

"Well, we need to run some tests on you so that we know what's going on. Do you feel any different?" Dr Hyland asked her.

"I can only remember things that happened up to six months from the night of the shooting," she replied.

"I guess we'll have to have another CAT scan done," Dr Hyland noted.

"Where's Kenny?" she asked.

"He left with your mother in law not so long ago," Dr Hyland was the one to reply. She was momentarily lost until it clicked- Xavier's mother.

"Do you want us to tell everyone that you're awake? They're all dying to see you," Xavier offered.

"Not yet! I'd like Dr Hyland to take any tests he wants to first and then I want to spend time with my husband," she said with a smirk. Xavier only shook his head with a smile, while Dr Hyland watched on curiously.

"Well ok then! Let me just get the nurse so that we can be out of your hair," Dr Hyland said.

He returned with the nurse and they checked everything they needed to. When they made Diamond stand, the amount of pain was too much for her to handle. She ended up crying and biting down so hard on her lip that she bled.

Xavier felt even worse, knowing that it was his fault that she was in that position. Dr Hyland and the nurse finally left, leaving an awkward silence between the two.

Diamond watched Xavier and she could tell that he was having an internal debate. Guilt adorned his beautiful face, and she immediately knew what he was thinking about. She found herself not wanting him thinking like that. In the little bits she'd heard from him, she'd fallen for him- but then again, she'd fallen for him before she even met him.