Chapter seven...

I was surprised to say the least. He acted so casual about it after, after regaining my composure I notice Matthew is already back working.

What does he do?

I lean over and watch as he scribbles across a page, signing it. That's not a signature, that's a squiggly line. I could forge that if I wanted to.

I see at the top it says 'Johnson and Smith Lawyers.' Okay... so he owns a company, hello there Matthew.

No I'm not that shallow... probably.

Reading through the sheet he was looking at I realised I was completely at a loss for what this was saying. I catch Matthew's eyes and cock my head to the left a little, probably looking really confused.

He grabbed a small pad and wrote on it, 'Business stuff, gets me money'

A small giggle reached my lips, I place a hand over my mouth to halt it, only for Matthew to place his hand on top of mine, lowering it back to the desk.

"Don't cover your face." He said, furrowing his brows.

I smiled lightly, he made me want to smile again. Watching him I noticed the pack of cigarettes in his jacket pocket, the one he had put back on only a moment ago, I leaned over him and reached into the pocket. Taking out the small box, knowing he was watching, I palced one between my lips and reached back to return them. Grabbing the lighter from the same pocket I covered it and lit my cigarette.

Standing up from the desk I moved to the large windows behind his desk.

Breathing in deeply, exhaling through my nose and mouth I turn to watch Matthew, sitting myself on the window ledge I see him turn to me.

"What are you doing?" he asks, spinning his chair to face me. I shrug in response and he stands, making his way towards me I place it back between my lips.

"Share at least, they are expensive." He said, my eyes wide, cheeks red.

I part my lips slightly and raise an eyebrow, he reached his hand towards my cheek, trailing his fingers down my jaw and gripping softly onto the cigarette he pulls it from my mouth, replacing it in his own.

My mouth still parted I watch as he breathes in and releases it out of the window behind me, causing him to lean over me.

Oh my god...

That cologne... wait no that's not cologne, its too natural.

Oh good lord it's just him, I think I just fell in love with the smell of old books and coffee matched with the soft smokey smell...

He pulled back all too quickly, leaving me wanting more. Before he can get too far I grab the front of his shirt and force him to sit next to me, to say he was surprised was an understatement. He settled himself quickly and offered me the fag again, gratefully taking it I watched him look through the window, sadly.

'You okay?' I signed once I had gained his attention.

"I'm fine." He spoke. No he's not, I know that face all too well.

'No you're not.' I signed back scrunching my eyebrows.

He sighed, I think, and then looked me in the eye. "I'm just sad, have been for a while now." He started to look away again.

Surprising myself I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly, knocking him onto the floor along with me. I have never been a huge fan of physical contact but right now every little fear or insecurity left my body, all I focused on was Matthew's arms going around my waist, pulling me close. His head buried itself into my shoulder and I felt his breathing slow slightly, he must be tired.

That's all I could remember since then... we fell asleep, not caring what was happening on the streets below...

It was the most peaceful sleep I've had in weeks... all because of him.

Who do y'all think I should have play the characters because I'm fairly clueless 🙏🏻