Chapter sixteen...

I don't know how long I was travelling for but I knew it had gotten dark. I wonder if any of them had noticed yet, unlikely.

There were still a few people travelling at this time, I had plugged my phone into the train plugs. Checking the time once again, 7:34pm, I never realised how much time can pass when you are waiting for something.

I watched back through the window, I sighed. Running a hand through my hair I looked around the carriage I was in. a couple of middle-aged women talking quietly, an elderly couple reading a newspaper and holding hands, and finally a few businessmen seated in different areas.

I wondered if I had missed something in London as I had seen many men in suits making their way on and off the train. My phone buzzed, an unknown feeling flowed through my veins.

I turned it over and looked to see 2 messages.

Henry – Where the hell are you??

Matthew – your brother called me. What happened?? Are you okay??

Matthew – Joshua!?

That last one pinged up as I looked at the others.

I replied with a simple 'I'm going home' to Henry and replied to Matthew with:

Me – don't worry about me anymore, I'm going home. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not welcomed. I'm going to miss you Matthew. Thank you for everything. Xx

Matthew – Joshua please don't leave, if not for Henry then me. Please don't leave me. I promise I would do everything in my power to get you comfortable.

Me – it's too late Matthew but thank you and I hope someone who can make you happy like I could finds you, I wish you the best. I just can't do it anymore xx

After that I replaced my phone onto the chair table in front of me.

15 minutes... that's what it took after for me to be in Cornwall once again.

I love it.

It's beautiful here all year round. Our house is still owned by our aunt and uncle. I'm glad they have yet to sell it.

I change my mind on catching a taxi and instead walk to the house. Around 40 minutes later I was stood once again in front of our home... my home, where I belong.

The house is amazing, it's an old farmhouse that was built a while ago. The grey bricks, white windows and the chimneys bring back beautiful memories.

I watch as the dying flowers rustle and loose petals in the wind. I step up to the front door and stare at it, I was told by mum 'never open that door unless we are with you' after a child was taken for a few days by a random man.

I bend down and grab the key from underneath the welcome mat. Unlocking the door I relish in the smell of my home.

The fading smell of fresh bread and old books. Dad's library was my favourite place in the house, some books now reside in the house back in London, some are packed in the attic and some sent to a charity shop. I step inside after placing the key back under the mat.

I make my way to my room, I lay on the bed and for the first time in a while I have a deep, calm sleep. No interruptions, no nightmares, no restlessness.

Waking up at 8 the next morning I take some snacks from my bag and eat them calmly in the garden. I face the forest, watching as the breeze rushed through the trees. I made my way further into the forest, searching for my spot.

Tripping I steady myself on a large tree, glancing up I see the carving I made when I was 12, I think. It shows proudly our family, carved into the trunk of this tree are the words 'the Crane family are the best ever' with a big heart drawn around it.

I move on and find the clearing in which the lake sits. Noticing the old bench dad and I built way back I moved and sat down, exhaling deeply.

I sat for god knows how long, just watching the water. Every so often a small woodland creature would venture out and drink or wash. Until one moment when I was watching a small group of bunnies by the water shoot up and run into the forest.

I turn, watching as a few people emerge from the tree line.

Henry.

Aunt Maggie.

And... Matthew.

"I knew you'd be here." Henry spoke, coming towards me. Standing in front of me he spoke again. "I'm sorry, Joshua. I can't express how sorry I am. You were so sad and I had no idea what to do and I know that is no excuse but I didn't know what to do. I had never seen you so sad, even when we were told you were deaf." He took a breath. "I'm sorry I've been such a terrible brother."

I knew there were tears building in my eyes, I noticed how his eyes reflected mine. Being back here causes all the memories to resurface.

'I'm sorry' I signed, standing up. I looked into his eyes and hurriedly wrapped my arms around him. My shoulders shook as my tears soaked into his shirt.

Once I was cried out I unlatched myself and turned around. Aunt Maggie watched us with blurry eyes and Matthew stood, relief plastered all on his face.

"Don't do that again." He said, uncrossing his arms and moving towards me.

'Sorry' I signed before running at him and holding onto him, I closed my eyes as I wrapped myself around him.

His hands moved to my back and thighs, holding me in place. My arms wrapped around his neck as my legs did the same to his waist. More tears flooded my face.

"I ca-an't do i-it." I stammered out, hopefully loud enough for them all to hear.

I was pulled back and faced with a happy looking Matthew.

"Let me help you." He said, I turned my head to Henry and Maggie, they nodded smiling.

I turned back.

Nodding...

That's it...

I'll be free.