chapter 2

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own"~H. Jackson Brown, Jr

Yamin's POV

The little bit of hope I had came crashing down, and oh lord that hurts. I couldn't hold my tears anymore, so I just ran out of the house with no direction in mind. Ya Allah, please help me. I was just trying to get away from him . I couldn't bear to see his face for the moment. Ya Allah, what did I do? I know I shouldn't have run away from him. He is my dad.

I know in my religion, I should obey my parents. Which is what I did for the past sixteen years of my life. Since my mother passed away, my father changed. Since then, he started making it harder for me to play my role of daughter and he was just acting weird. He was not always like this. Until four years ago, that man was the best Dad I could ever ask for and my mother was with us making our home alive. With us four, we were so happy and we had everything we needed.

You are surely wondering what happened then if we were all happy?
It all started four years ago, when my mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. The tumor was growing rapidly inside of her brain and the doctor could not do anything to stop it. My dad was so desperate, always running around looking for doctors who could help my mom, but couldn't find one that was efficient. It took time for us to realize that my mom was sick and that costed us dearly.

We were always going from one hospital to another. By the time we found a good hospital, it was too late. The doctors said she had three months to live. In those months, I stopped going to school and stayed with my sick mother, and my Dad abandoned his job to come stay with her also. We were not very rich, which caused my dad to spend all his money and the amount of debt became unbearable. All of this so she can feel better, and at the end, she could not make it, even after receiving an expensive surgery. My Dad became depressed as he lost not only his wife, but his best friend and the mother of his children.

I was alone with Omar, as we lost the two most important people in our lives: my mom by her disease and my Dad because he became a different person after that. He stopped praying, because he thinks that God does not love him, and he became cold towards us. He was like a robot, never smiling except this morning, but maybe I imagined it. They say we sometimes see what we desire the most even if it is not real.

That was not all. Even though he was cold to us, he never failed to provide us with good and other necessities to survive. But the absence of a job made it difficult for him. I am practically the one who raised omar because when the incident happened, he was only four and I had just turned 13. Yes it happened during my birthday and since then, it was not the same anymore. I try my best to be happy during that day but always fail to do so. I am sure that my mother is in a better place now and I just need to pray for her.

Since when Omar was born, we always had that special bond and always found comfort in each other. That is why I decided to find a job to help provide us with the necessities. I was working at a library near my house full time and I actually liked it since I love reading books.

I guess what the amount of money I  was earning was not enough since my Dad decided to sign a contract with the one and only Suleyman Qureshi, one of the richest man in the world. My father and him are long lost friends and when he learned what happened to my dad and the amount of debt he owed, he tried to help him.

My dad is the type of person who does not accept anything from other people without giving back because of  his pride, so they both agreed to make a deal. That man's only desire was for his only son to settle down with an obedient girl and have a grandson. His son named Malik Qureshi, rated on the Top ten youngest billionaire could have any girl he wanted, so the fact that he agreed to marry a plain girl like me is really confusing.

Now I have no choice but to agree with them, since my dad is not giving me an option. I just hope that I am strong enough to stay with him, at least for Omar's sake, who I love more than anything. I guess that is why my father is asking me not to be selfish, since he got a job from the contract and my little brother can go to a good middle school. But one thing is sure, I can't forgive him for selling me, at least not right now because that is how I feel. He is treating me like an object that he can just sign away.

But I won't disappoint Omar, not like he did. No matter what that man did, he is still my father and I have to obey him. Even if not for him, I feel like I owe it to Omar. He deserves to go to a good high school and later on go to one of the best universities in the world. He deserves to pursue his education since I did not get the chance to go to college and become a teacher.

Omar deserves to be happy, even if it means I have to get married. He deserves to make his dreams come true. He deserves to be happy. I finally see what my Dad was talking about and even though I don't agree with his way of doing things, I am not going to be selfish and I will do this for my brother. Yes, I know what I have to do, and I will do it the right way. And maybe, just maybe, it won't be so bad and I will actually be happy with my husband. And Ladies and gentlemen, that is how I agreed to marry the one and only Malik Qureshi.

☆☆☆

Constructive feedbacks are always welcome

~ChocolateLoverQueen

Sep 14, 2017