Chapter 9

"I decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear"~Martin Luther King

Yasmin's POV [Back at the wedding]

When we talk about being unlucky, this surpasses it. I am pretty sure that I am the only bride who got left on the altar right after her own wedding. How lucky am I ? I guess I just set my standards too high and now I am just disappointed. But I try not to let it get to me. I just keep on smiling, just like I was doing during the whole day. Mr. Suleyman came and apologized for his son before leaving like nothing happened.

I don't know what he said to his son or what was on the letter that he read, but that alone was enough to change his mood from bad to worse. He just left me, like I don't even exist. My father came to see me and told me that he was leaving. He smiled at me poorly before giving me a hug and turning around. By now, I was just trying so hard not to cry in front of these few people.

My brother came next to me and I just hugged him so hard, like this would be the last time I will get to do it. He wanted to cry and I just pinched his cheeks.

"Omar, you know you are a big boy right? Big boys don't cry. And again, it's not like I am dying or anything, I am still going to be your favorite sister" I said smiling sadly. I am going to miss this boy so much

"But, but you are not going to be in the house anymore" He said with tears threatening to fall.

"No I won't be, but I will always be in your heart and insha Allah, I will come to visit you as soon as I can" I told with all seriousness. My dad was on the side, not rushing us for the first time, but I guess there is still a part of him that didn't change. Still a part of him that cares about us.

"Now, be a good boy and go with dad. It is starting to get late and you have school tomorrow. Remember, do all of your homework and be a good boy alright?"

He gave me his pinkie before answering me. "I pinkie promise you sis that I will be a good boy and you will be proud of me. I am going to study so hard that I will have money and insha Allah, you will never be sad" he promised me. What am I going to do without him in my life Ya Allah? He is so sweet and I just hope that my sacrifice will be enough to make him happy. I held his hand and brought him next to my dad. I looked at him straight in the eyes.

"Take care of him please" I said

"Don't worry about it, he is my son" he says without blinking. Is he for real? I am his daughter too and I really need him right now. I needed him all these years that he was not here for me. Even though I am mad at him, I still love him and I still need him. I always dreamed of this with him and mom by my side. While I met prince charming who loved me at first sight, who would sweep me off of my feet, and love me forever. My Dad not wanting me to leave because of how much he loves me, how much he was going to miss me; him having that special talk with his son in law, not a Dad who would sell me at the first occasion, or throw me to the wolves, whichever once you guys prefer

I kept all of this to myself and just nodded before giving Omar one last look and faced the other side. I felt them shifting beside me and I turned to see them going towards the car. Omar looked back once more and I smiled but my dad, he didn't turn around. Not even once.

Mama Tasmeem and Fatima both kissed me on the cheek and we hugged, and few tears dropped out of my eyes, even though I tried so hard. We looked at each other and the eyes said everything that the mouth couldn't. I saw fatima mouthing 'take care baby' before leaving with Mama, not without turning around looking at me and waving her hand like we were going to see each other the next day. I guess this is easier for both of us

The room was almost empty now, only Malik's witness was there and even the guy who held the ceremony already left. He came near me, not too near, giving me my personal space before he finally opened his mouth.