Chapter 1: Worthless with A Destiny

August 1st, 1698 AA

"December 23rd, 14 BA. During this time there was wars waging through the land with no end in sight, many lives were lost. The cruelest of these events was the nuclear bombing of the Hitachi Kingdom which single handedly ended the lives of over 378 million people. With the threat of all lives being lost there was a spark of genius that  ended the wars throughout the world, can anyone tell me what this instance was?" the young woman said in the front of the room, behind a podium much larger then what was seen as necessary for such a short woman. The room was filled with silence until a woman with bright green eyes and silky smooth white skin raised her arm.

            "The turning tide of the hundred-year wars at the beginning of the current calendar, the creation of Ascension; and the creator himself, Sir Matrix Dusley." She said with confidence in her voice, proudly placing her hand back down after speaking.

            "That is correct, Elizabeth. As expected of one from the Julius family, you live up to your families name quite well." The young woman said to Elizabeth, like her ego needs to be inflated any more then it is already. "She's absolutely correct. The turning point of the calendar and the world was Sir Matrix Dusley, he was an upcoming professor in the field of human medical research when he discovered the truth of our souls. For years people called anyone who could do unnatural things witches, alchemists, even heretics," she spoke, taking a small moment to look out at the audience.

"But what he confirmed is that every single human has a soul, manifested of complex energy, and in the cases of people with these outdated names; the energy was useable. Most people cannot use the energy inside of them and are thus just normal people living normal lives. But certain gifted individuals can use this energy to perform amazing feats." She says as she takes a deep breath.

            She took a few more moments to think of what to say next, this woman really isn't the type of person I expected to give a speech. She was a little shorty who could barely come up with good lines, kisses the ass of the nobility, and has quite a personality. I don't know how anyone could think that putting her in charge is a good idea, but maybe I'm just too invested in this. First impressions are important after all, especially in a place like this.

            "However, Sir Dusley could not have confirmed such a thing without a little bit of assistance from his Contractor. In fact, it's theorized that without his Contractor he never would have discovered the truth behind Ascension. Contractors have been as important as those they've contracted since the time the first contract was signed. But, why am I listening to this pretty lady talk to me about such common knowledge? I bet that's what you're all thinking," she says with a small chuckle. The crowd was silent, and she coughed softly into her hand to break the silence.

"Well the answer is simple, because it applies to everyone here and it's always important to remember where you came from. From this day forward, you are all students in this school of Ascension, Ulix, and as your principal I welcome you all!" she says as the people inside the gymnasium started to cheer and applauded, giving her the respect she so rightfully deserves.

I choose to simply give a few weak claps while I sigh, looking down at the chair in front of me. As someone who came to this place knowing nobody, I didn't really feel the energy to be excited or happy for any of this. Too nervous.

            After the applauding died down she takes another deep breath, "Thank you all for coming, if you will all please proceed to your assigned test room, the Ascension readers are up and running at this time. It's time for everyone one of you blessed individuals to discover your destiny," she says happily as everyone begins to shuffle out of the room.