Chapter 3: The Student Council

July 7, 1693 AA

Five years ago, I was training for a world class martial arts tournament. In this land of Ascenders, nobility, and power; there was still a normal human skill that was respected throughout the lands. That was martial arts. The power inside of yourself, and the willpower to train through all your struggles. This is why I've always loved martial arts, and that I'm quite grateful to Old Man Jinn for teaching me. Aside from his scientific knowledge, he was skilled in hand to hand combat. He was never able to Ascend, so he didn't have another way to prove his strength. These abilities and teachings he passed onto me.

Shortly after that time was the time of the tournament, and I was determined to fight and win to make him proud of me. It was the largest tournament of the year, and I swept through the early rounds of it with ease. The final 8 was the hardest challenge I've faced up until then. Any sort of martial arts goes, and the winner is decided when one of the fighters can no longer continue. A few of the matches were very close, with myself winning by only a small margin. Then, the championship match was next, between myself and a man named Jax Storefield. He was a very strong and noble man, always bowing to his opponents before matches and never injuring his opponent beyond repair. And me, the scrawny and cute underdog, was to face him in the finals.

I walked up to him a bit nervous, but confident in my abilities. All I could hear was the cheering for Jax, while the support for me was wiped clean. We both approached the center of the stage, I was quite tuckered out from all the fights previously. But him? Of course, not him. Once we are both in our starting positions, he placed his hands to his sides and bowed. A bit nervous I bowed my head back to him in respect, or at least fear. Then the countdown to the start of the match. Three. Two. One. Fight. This buzzer has stuck with me ever since, because it was the deciding point in my life, up until recently. When that buzzer went off, I slid one of my feet back, holding the opposite side arm up and the other back. I was in defense, yet ready to switch at any time. Then, he spoke to me.

"Your style is unique, but you will lose. This is fate," he said to me. I simply smirked.

"Really? Then allow me to change that fate!" I screamed out as I charged forward at him. I cocked one hand back and threw it forward at him, but he did not move to dodge it. My fist simply was allowed to travel and make contact with the side of his face. A large cracking sound was heard from the impact, a bit of smoke steaming back from the force of it all. Despite this, his face did not move a muscle. I clenched my teeth and jumped back, jumping up, and spinning in the air. The end of the spin was followed by an axe drop with all my force. It was then that he moved, raising one hand up and catching my leg on its way to his head. Steam and smoke flew downward and out from such a strong impact again, but it did not faze him. He simply gripped my leg, swung me around, then dropped me to the floor. Like that it was over. All my hard training, for nothing, to be beaten so easily. The impact on my back nearly knocked me out, my world spun, and I could barely see. With my last bit of strength, I looked up to him, as he smiled down at me.

"You're the strongest opponent I've fought, but even then, fate is always predetermined. Maybe one day, fate will shine to you. I'll hopefully see you on that day," he said as my consciousness faded, and I was out cold. I heard later that he was awarded the world championship, before announcing he was retiring in three years to go to school for Ascending. He was an Ascender, and that strong? What a cheater in life. But, his lesson sticks with me, because it taught me so much. You can't change fate, is what I learned.

August 26th, 1698 AA: Present day

This is such a weird feeling, knowing I have the power to save my friends, yet being so weak I couldn't protect anything. I know I can't protect the world, but I should be able to protect my school. So why is it that I can be so strong, and be able to protect nothing with my power. Is it fate? I remember, Jax taught me that fate can't be changed, and I was fated to be weak. That's why I was going to be thrown out. Maybe I can't save anyone because I've never been able to. Maybe it's because others are stronger, the bad guys usually are. When you're alone, you can't protect anything. You're weak. Fate will never change for you. But, then I learned a new lesson. Your fate is never determined by yourself, it's those around you as well. And I've found a new reason to fight against that lesson. I will change the fate given to me, and I'll make my own fate! I haven't protected anything before, but, ill protect all of you. Ill change fate itself. Isn't that right, Xerthia?