Chapter 7: Infinity Crystals

"What do you mean he's dead?!" Kazuto lashes out, slamming his fist on the table.

"C-Calm down, Kazuto. I'm sure she'll explain what-" I try to say, only to be cut off.

"Dead? I too am curious of the situation," a familiar voice says near the doorway.

I look over to my right with confusion, only to have it vanish immediately. Yuuji, Ruin, Ruri, and Lauren enter the room one after the other; they look puzzled. The group stops across from Xerthia, only the table separating them now. Yuuji then crosses his arms over his chest plate awaiting an answer from my Contractor.

"This goes much deeper then your man hunt, the Sacrament isn't as small as I thought," Xerthia explains to us. "By looking through the files I've ascertained that this is only one of four outward bases, one to watch over the school for Ascension in each Realm. There is also a hidden main base somewhere in the territory held by the Zexal Realm. However, this only scratches the surface,"

"How does this link to our mission?" Yuuji asks.

"As some know, the Sacrament is the organization Boros belonged to until near his death. They do not use names to associate each other, Boros was known as Number 5. It turns out the Number 5 we defeated was originally Number 6, taking the rank of 5 once Boros was killed," Xerthia says while flipping another file across the table projection. "The reason? To steal the Infinity Crystal in order to have power when fleeing Xeno, in order to take over another world,"

"Why wouldn't they just try to conquer Xeno? What benefit does invading a new, unknown planet have to these people?" Lauren wonders, while placing a finger under her lip pondering the answer.

"To put it simply, they couldn't win. Exacting their plan meant defecting from the Sacrament, and while they were confident they could conquer an entire world they didn't know, they felt they couldn't take this one. They feared someone amongst their ranks that could overpower them even with an Infinity Crystal,"

"I felt that power first hand... W-Who could possibly beat it?" I timidly ask, remembering how I nearly lost her.

"The only number in the Sacrament to have a code name in the system, their Number 1, Nova. Apparently he's strong enough to best anyone in battle, and that's not including his Legendary Contractor. I tried finding more information but nothing is listed about Nova or his Contractor," Xerthia mutters while distracted by sifting through more files. "I only was able to find that the Sacrament refer to his Contractor as god. Where we thought they wanted to seek god, it turns out they've been following a 'god' for years. There's no other information on any plans or references, it looks like someone wiped the computer of everything they didn't want us to see,"

"You mean the Sacrament wanted us to learn this information?" Yuuji inferred.

"There's no fuckin' way the enemy would leave us clues!" Azura exclaims, looking as pissed as usual.

"... u-unless they needed someone here to learn more, to become curious. This may have been left to taunt one of us into pursuing Nova," I shyly speak my mind. "But who could it be for..."

"It's for you, and for me," Xerthia states with certainty.

"W-Why would they leave a message for us?!" I stutter.