Beltane

Beltane also goes by the name of May Day or the 1st of summer. In most cases, it is celebrated from late evening on April 30th to late May 1st. There are many different traditions that people observe on this day and I thought I would share what I have learned about the holiday as I researched a few days ago.

Let's start with the original reason we celebrate beltane. The wheel of the year is in direct correlation to the life cycles of the divine energies. Beltane is the moment where the goddess becomes full-grown and when she meets the god. This is a passionate night that ends in her becoming pregnant. So for a lot of people, this night is a time of love and pleasure. 

At the same time, we are welcoming in Summer. Summer being a time of warmth and growth. However, many people around the world celebrate for their own reasons as well. So if you don't believe in the reason for the holiday, ultimately it is up to you. 

This time is a time where the veil between our physical world and the spiritual world is thin so if you keep your eyes open you are more likely to see spiritual beings like the fae or wisps. This is also a talent you can train, though it takes a lot of practice and dedication.

Now, let's look at some of the traditions of the large celebrations, and then we can look at what you can do at home. There are two traditions that are very common in Beltane celebrations. They are; the May Pole and bonfires. These are not the only traditions but the most notable.

Let's go into a little more detail on those, starting with the May Pole. They maypole is adorned with many brightly colored flowers and ribbons. Dancers would each hold a ribbon and dance around the pole weaving the ribbons until they are wrapped tightly around the pole. This is a symbol of fertility. This is due to the phallic nature of the structure as well as the skill and intense joy felt by those that dance the pole.

This becomes the center point for most big celebrations, around which other celebration traditions take place.

 Later in the night comes the bonfires. This tends to be where things get a little more intimate as in some cases dancers will dance skyclad around the fires but that is more common in smaller coven groups rather than the large celebrations. For the most part, dancers will dance around the fires in a more erratic style, mimicking the thrill of passion.  It is said that if you jump a bonfire on the night of Beltane it will bring good luck, fertility, and strength for the coming season.

Celebrating on your own however can seem a little impossible for a solitary practitioner. It doesn't have to be that way, however. 

Here are a few ideas for what you can do at home:

- light candles and place them throughout your home, or just in the space around you

- bring in flowers that you have either gathered yourself or grown

- have a bonfire, maybe invite your friends (if it makes you uncomfortable you don't have to tell them it is to celebrate Beltane)

-spend time in nature, go for a walk or just listen to the birds.

- be close to the one you love tonight, spend time with them. (as a side note, it is said that a child conceived on Beltane night will be skilled in spiritual ways as well as extremely smart.)