Barrier Encounters

As you made your way through the crowds of teenage girls you sighed, getting a high heeled foot trodden on for oh about the seventh time.
It probably wasn't the best premiere to attend, considering the new film also starred a boyband favourite in the form of Harry Styles. The banners and posters surrounding you adorned with pictures and messages focusing on the curly haired baby face and not a tom one in sight.
Being older and more authoritative than the majority of the crowd made it easier for you and your friend to push past the gatherings of youngsters right to the front of the entrance barrier, by the curb where the limousines pulled up and the red carpet began. You weren't going to miss him and if you had to take out a few teenage girls with your handbag then so be it!

At 7:15pm the first limousine pulled up and security reached for the handle. The paparazzi descended, cameras flashing wildly as a suited leg left the vehicle and a man got out to be greeted by girlish screams.

"Cillian Murphy everyone" a commentators voice boomed from some speakers outside the building. The actor waved at the crowds and approached the barrier to sign many a "peaky blinders" DVD case thrust into his hand.
You felt anxious to see somebody famous in the flesh and as he approached you, you smiled shyly and your friend took a picture of you both, the background a sea of waving vulturous hands.
As he wandered to the other end of the carpet, some of the crowd moved with him, meaning you had more space at the front of the barrier, as you waited in anticipation for the next vehicle to arrive.

When it did you heard whispers that it could be tom and your heart raced.
When the door was opened and he stepped out you felt more light headed than a Friday night in on the red.
He was there, right in front of you!

"And here's the man himself Mr Tom Haaaaaardy" echoed the sound from the speakers, but all you could here was the blood rushing in your ears and the screams of the young girls surrounding you.
He was wearing a black suit, tailored to fit his body shape exactly, his slimline black tie holding a golden pin that reminded you of the time he played London gangster Reggie Kray.

His hair was styled with some visible product, tousled and standing on end in random places, and his facial hair was present, the fur below his bottom lip apparent. You mentally reminded yourself that you had wished that it would be.
He was smaller than you expected. In both height and stature, but his face was more perfect than any of the Millions of photos you had fawned over. His lips were like pillows, his eyes more vibrant than any photo had ever done him justice for.
He waved at the crowd as it cheered him, and made his way over to the barrier, security in tow.

He signed some posters and you could hear his laugh over the calls of his name as somebody told him a joke. You waited patiently at the front, suddenly feeling more determined than you did nervous!
He finally reached the person next to you and posed for a photo, his prominent little tooth visible, poking from underneath his lip as you heard him say something about the film.
He moved along to you and your eyes met as you felt electricity course through your body and shock your unexpected heart in your chest. You felt Lightheaded but you smiled in such a goofy way at his face that it made your friend laugh out loud.
It was noisy but he lent in close to hear you as you deposited some verbal diarrhoea about watching all his movies and loving his charity work and him being an inspiration. He touched your arm as you spoke in his ear and the whole world around you was drowned out.
"Can she have a photograph" your friend piped up, bringing you back to earth.
"Of course" tom said, putting his arm around you and smiling as the flash blinded the both of you.
"Let me see then" he said, and you were amazed as he pulled the phone from your friend and chuckled at the selfie, squinting at it in the sun.
"Look at me hair" he said patting it down at the back to no avail. Laughing he said,
"Quick take another" smirking at you and giving it to you to hold as your hand shook. He smelt divine, like woodsy forest Pine with a hint of mint body wash and your heart was still thumping like a jack hammer in your chest.
By this time another limousine had pulled up and the speaker roared about "Harry Styles" making his appearance to an eruption of screams and movement around the square.
"Oh look the real star is here now" he mocked with a toothy smirk, his deep voice like liquid chocolate to your senses. You managed to breathe better again now that he seemed to be loitering, signing photographs around you and posing for photos but not actually moving from the spot right at the side of you.

"Better make a move then, what's your name?" He asked as you stood still frozen to the spot. You tried to answer him, but it happened so fast and you were so bewildered that he was conversing with you like this that you stuttered a mumbled sound as his management approached his back and moved him along.
He sent a lingering glance your way as you stood with a lump in your throat, your hands rested on the barrier, eyes meeting his as he bit his lip in your direction and continued to walk the carpet, giving hurried glances back at you, as your legs trembled.

The air returned to your lungs as he moved further away, your legs like jelly as the adrenaline left your veins, your friend squealing in delight as she showed you the selfies on her phone. You craned your neck over the barrier in the direction he had wandered, seeing him whispering into the ear of a tall suited man, you presumed to be part of his security team.
The man looked back at you suddenly and you saw tom do the same and wave, his bent pinky visible even from 20ft down the line.
You waved back but so did most of the screaming fans around you, and you took a swig of the water bottle you had held all evening, your mouth suddenly feeling drier than the mad max desert.
After Tom had left, you failed to see any reason to stay. Harry styles had created chaos and the crowd moved with him along the carpet, making it easier to move in the opposite direction along the barrier and head backwards from it all.