Chapter 18 *EDITED*

The thick orange rays pierced through the thick trees one by one, bringing some light in my way but not my soul, I had a feeling it was turning dark from what I had endured.  The adrenaline had pumped out resulting to me feeling every pain in my body, from the itchy sore face to my over worked, poor muscles. Ruby looked worse though, her run had broken to a jog as it seemed like she would collapse any time now.

Our shoes were muddy and heavy, the bags seemed to way us down and I was as thirsty as hell.  The sun was up and I knew they were looking for us so we had to be strong and continue running as there was no way back.

We never even got the second to admire the evergreen,  beautiful trees,  or the melody the birds sang as the glorious sun rose up to the sky.  I came to a halt with my body boycotting on me. Everything was aching as I was drenched in sweat.

Ruby threw herself to the mud, heavily heaving. I ripped through my bag, looking for the water bottle and an apple.  I knew that if I sat down, I wouldn't stand back up so I sucked it up and drained half of the bottle.

There was no hope for Ruby, she lay limp, looking paralyzed.  I ate the apple up like it was nothing.  I was hungry as hell but we had a limited food supply.

"Ruby, come on.  We need to move on. "

No answer.

"Ruby come on," I pulled her arm causing her to groan before dragging herself up.

We walked for a while as ruby ate some bread and coke.  She needed the energy more.  After a few metres we broke into a run, pushing past our aching bodies.

I wondered if we would make it, if we could survive. It was better for me since I had been an athlete all my life, from ballet, tennis, and volley ball then cheerleading but for Ruby it was pure agony. I waited for a moment where she would collapse and break a leg but she stayed strong, dragging herself behind me.

When the sun was in the middle of the sky we decided to rest.  I went to cut tree branches which we could lay on, perks of watching "the hunger games".  I placed my bag down and took out two slices of bread and threw them down my throat.  The bread tasted like shit on its own and it almost choked me.  After having the bread, I took out the throw blanket and threw it over me before grabbing and grasping my knife tight.

I felt filthy with being so dirty and just laying around such an environment,  part of me was scared that an animal would attack us or that they would find us and slaughter us in our sleep.  Eyes scanned over the place, waiting for something to move or jump out to me.

I wondered how Ruby slept on the ground.
I don't know when I drifted off but I did and when I woke up, the sun was setting and there was a hissing sound nearby.

I rolled on my side, groaning loudly, my body was worse than before.

The hissing got louder causing me to slowly rub my eyes open.

"Aahh!" I screamed, I don't know how but I jumped as the thin yet long green snake struck and missed.
I ran off jumping like a lunatic, leaving everything behind.  The snake chased after me as I screamed my lungs out.  Down I went, running in an unimaginable speed, I didn't even know where I was going but I kept on going and going, not daring to look back.

I blazed through the forest, running like a girl with my lungs on fire.

"Aahh!" further I went in the forest and when I finally stopped and looked back the snake was gone.
I took a deep breath, relief washing over me but still scared as hell.  It was getting really dark and I was scared to retrace my steps not that I could.  I had ventured too far from Ruby and was now lost. I didn't even know where I was or how far I was from our original path and the only thing I had was a stupid knife.