Chapter 40 *EDITED*

The rain was pouring, droplets graciously sliding down my window. The sky was covered with dark clouds hiding the little sunlight there was. Lighting struck, a kaleidoscope of colour lighting the dark sky. Someone knocked at the door only to wait a few moments before knocking again. Finally, the handle pressed down and an unknown person pushed the door.

I heard footsteps coming toward my bed, but I was too weak to move my head to see who my visitor was.

"Here is your food Miss," The tall girl with a black tunic and white shirt said as she always did before throwing me one last glance and walking away sadly, pity clearly evident in her eyes.

I stared at the food, just staring at it.

This is my life now, lay in bed, too tired to cry, too angry to eat, too sad to care. My mind was buried deep in thoughts, a massive migraine hammering in my head leading to my left eye to turn red and become sore. I welcomed all the pain. It reminded me that I was still alive that I was still breathing. Seconds become minutes, minutes became hours, hours become days and days passed into weeks.
The door opened again, I heard footsteps and before me stood 'the father of my child'. He stared at me with mixed emotions. It'd been a full month since I'd seen him and it seemed like life was treating him well.

"Harley, I hear you are not eating," He said.
expecting an answer he wouldn't get.

"Are you trying to kill the baby?"

I wondered why he cared. Not like he wanted the baby.

Getting no reply he took the soup from the side table and sat at the edge of the bed before scooping some soup and forcefully shoved it into my mouth.
I didn't fight, the soup just dripped out of my mouth to the sheets.

He attempted to feed me again and again but after a while he threw the bowl across the room in frustration and I heard it shatter. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Maybe this was me rebelling, maybe it was me fighting back, or maybe just maybe it was me giving up.

My whole body was numb and so weak. I lay flat on the bed and stared up at the ceiling fan until my eyes started to droop as I saw dark spots and I was out like a light.

I was hit with a head splitting headache, after waking up. It was so painful that I groaned and struggled to open my heavy eyes. Finally my sore eyes peeled opened and I was in my room but there was this sound that just caused my headache to worsen. When my head finally cleared I heard a distinct rhythmic beating and I looked around to see a heart monitor, a drip was also handing right next to the bed.

I tried to sit up, but I was too weak and my body ached like hell. A glass of water was placed on the palate and I struggled to grab it as my hands violently shook.

The room was dim as the curtains were closed with the only light coming from the two side lamps.
I gulped down the glass of water and coughed violently from the water going down my airway. My heart was beating so fast, the heart monitor beeping faster. I sat back and closed my eyes trying to calm down.

I wonder how much time had passed since I'd passed out. My hand went to my belly and brushed it protectively.

What in the world had I done?

I wondered if my baby was okay. I hoped she was, I really did. I was such a bad mother.

It dawned to me that I was damaged, Rafael had broken me and I could never be the same. He had crippled me, took every shred of confidence, dignity, and fight out of me.  All the things he'd done had finally weighed down on me and just left a shell of a person.