The Order

The New Order of Rank is nothing like the old one, or that's what has been whispered amongst the pets. It has even been said that we were not always called pets, and that we were once the ones in charge of the planet. Those whispers scare me, those whispers are the kind where the whisperer never comes back.

I prefer to believe that things have always been this way, pets and masters. For me at least, this is coming from a pure. There are three categories most pets fall under. Our category is determined by our genes. Most pets have three special, defining genes. How well they match determines your station. I have no idea what these genes do, as they seemingly have no effect on physical features but, they are the base for pet society.

The first and most common rank is the Mutts, they have three different genes. The second is Crossed, they have two matched genes and one that is random. The last but not least if the three is Thorough, with three matched genes they are the best of the three is the eyes of Masters.

There is one last group that is not considered one of the common ranks, the Pures. With four matching genes they are the best of the best when it comes to possible pets. The only pets ever found with four of the genes have been matching.

Each rank has a different propose. I've only ever been taught about life as a pure, but the whisperers say things. They say the lowest ranks are livestock, food, for what? I don't know. The next are said to be manual laborers, they work factories and farms. The Thorough pets are supposed to have a similar but cushier purpose, they are domestic servants and company in the bedroom. They supply maids and butlers.

The Pures have two normal purposes. They may be pets, much like cats or dogs of old, which are now toys most often gifted to a favored pet. They are not workers and are simply there for the amusement or companionship of the Masters.

The second possibility is to be placed as a child in the home. The Masters children are sent away at birth and do not return until adulthood, some Masters find they enjoy caring for young and, though the pets are not sold until adulthood, half of the Pures are trained to take one this life. We as a whole are often fixtures in the Masters' night-life but are treated, for the most part, as prized possessions.

There is a third category, it is not widely spoken of, but it is there. There are those, who do both. I am one of those. My keepers seem to enjoy both of these options. They will wave string and Pat my head when I choose that path. When I choose the other they read me stories and tuck me in with my fluffed animals.

I can't wait to be adopted I will be went to a special shop meant for the Pures who practice both life styles. I will receive my vaccinations and pet tracker implant from the vet next. Then I will be placed for adoption. I simply can not wait.