I

I

He won't break me. He won't break me. He won't break Axel. He won't break us.

Kaida Quinn had to repeat this to herself in order to convince herself that it was the truth. He wasn't going to break her and her twin brother, Axel. They weren't going to stop fighting. The only way they would was if they stopped breathing.

It was wise on her enemy's part, she thought, that she had restraints on her arms. She wasn't too appreciative of being strapped down in a metallic chair, though, that was still cold even with her body heat against it.

I don't know what his game is, Kaida thought. But I won't let him win. Whatever he is trying to do, it won't work.

When the door to her cell opened, he stepped through, and she tensed. She picked up on his attempt to try and calm her through the Force. She wasn't having it. She knew what this man had done, who he was to the Jedi. But, even when they had been sought out by this man himself, Kaida had no official identity to him. She'd never even heard of this masked man, never seen him before, not until...

She forced the grim thoughts away. She didn't want to be reminded that she and her brother were the few Jedi left in the galaxy.

Kaida, with a hard green-eyed glance, stared at the mask, which hid the man's true identity. She wished she could see right through it. He would never take it off, she knew. Why give your opponent some form of advantage?

"Am I the special one since I get the first visit?" Kaida quipped. She knew, as a Jedi, she was supposed to remain calm and collected even in the toughest of situations. Why bother at this point? The Jedi have fallen. As far as I'm concerned, I am no longer one. She'd decided, as the Jedi had been...slaughtered...that she would throw the Code out of the window and never look back. What Code was there to live by when there were so few Jedi left, anyway?

The man in the mask said nothing, he simply walked towards her. She didn't cower under his presence and his approach. She didn't fear him, and it wasn't because of his attempt to calm her through the Force.

"When are you going to show me your face?" Kaida asked conversationally, not expecting any answer. "If I'm going to be locked up for the rest of my days, it's the least you can do."

The mask tilted slightly in curiosity. Kaida mimicked the man's movement, her black hair moving slightly across her vision. She wished she had the ability to peek into his mind, but she wasn't sure if such a power existed. Or if it did, if she would be able to train herself.

For a while, Kaida wondered about this man's identity. It had bugged her from the time she and Axel had been abducted. He was a Force-user, that much was obvious. She wasn't sure if his presence felt familiar to her in any way.

She was surprised as the black gloves moved towards the mask. With a little bit of suspense, she watched as it was removed.

When the face was revealed, Kaida felt her stomach drop into her feet. She wished she was anywhere else right now. It can't be. He's responsible for all the death and destruction? I can't...I don't want to believe it.

Kaida took note of the grown-up changes in his face. How his dark hair had become longer, but not to the length that hers was. How his dark eyes lost their liveliness, replaced by empty pits of black. His expression looked as stone-cold as his eyes. Overall, a chilling appearance to Kaida, who had known this man since he was a boy. But she hadn't seen him in years, not after he just up and left without rhyme or reason, or an explanation.

She had his name stuck in her throat. She wasn't sure if she could say it out loud. Saying it out loud makes it all the more real. She remembered the man in the mask, him and his followers, marching on the new Jedi, murdering them in cold blood without a bat of an eye. This can't be the same man. It can't be.

"This is a first," said the man, who held the mask at his side. "Usually you've always got something to say. Did I leave you speechless for once?"

Kaida cringed at how nonchalant he sounded. Here she was, a prisoner to him, and he acted as though the planet kept turning, that another day was just around the corner, and that everything was chummy between them.

It made her sick to her stomach.

He walked slowly to her, his feet sounding heavy in Kaida's ears. Her heart accelerated in pace as he stood before her form in the chair. He sat the mask at his side, and his eyes searched hers. Does he know that I recognize him? Does he think he's taunting me?

Kaida's mouth opened, the name right on the tip of her tongue. Something was still keeping her from saying it out loud. The confirmation that he was right in front of her, that's what it was.

The man cocked his head in curiosity. "Still nothing?" His voice was soft as Kaida remembered it. Perhaps it was even softer. It was kind of hard to think at the moment.

It wasn't every day that someone from your past became the person who imprisoned you, after all.

"Is...Is my brother alive?" Kaida croaked. She cringed at how her voice sounded. It was like she hadn't spoken in months and her throat was devoid of water.

The man's brows furrowed, and his mouth dipped into a scowl. "He is."

"And I can trust your word on that?" She cleared her throat in hopes that the scratchiness would disappear.

"You used to, a long time ago."

Kaida snorted. "You're not wrong." That was back when I trusted you. Back when I thought I knew you.

"So you do remember me."

She raised her head. "Of course. You were..." She wasn't sure what to say. Her best friend? A man who made her heart flutter and her mind think about a life outside of being a Jedi? A life where she and him could have started a family? A man who she had considered giving up her Jedi duties for, for something strong?

"You've got me curious about that answer now." He leaned in.

Kaida shook her head. "You've got me curious about a lot of things."

"Like what?"

How you became this monster. How you fell from grace. How you seem to be the man I cared about, but yet look nothing like him at the same time. "I don't know where to begin. Hmm, maybe I do. Perhaps you can tell me why you've caged me up like an animal."

"You know why, Jedi."

"Ouch. You speak to me as though we know each other, yet you don't want to say my name. It's hurtful, it really is." And that was the truth for Kaida. He knew who she was. He was currently refusing to acknowledge who she really was.

It was a big sting to her.

"I see your snark has grown overtime." The man snorted. "But that seems to be the only thing that has grown."

He would joke about my height. "What's my purpose in this? Why am I here?"

"I'm not going to divulge that to you. You'll get to find out soon enough." The man collected his mask and began to leave.

Kaida didn't want him to go, he left her with many unanswered questions. And she wasn't about to wait for him to come back later. So she did the very thing she had been trying to do from the moment he showed his face to her: she called out his name.

"Ben!"

**So originally this was gonna be a first person POV from Kaida's perspective. But then at the last second I thought it'd be different to write from third POV. 

The chapters won't be titled, also. They'll be numbered as such.

Early thoughts so far? I know you guys have a lot of questions. They'll hopefully be answered in this shorter fic.**