VIII

VIII

Kaida did not sleep. She could not sleep. Sometimes, her dreams became painful reminders of the past. And sometimes, they reminded her of the ever present she was living in.

As far as imprisonment went, Kaida began to think this wasn't so bad. There was no torture since the one incident. She hadn't felt threatened through the Force, nor Axel. They seemed to be on the good end of things.

Kaida felt that way, until the door to her cell opened. Until two Stormtroopers, flanked by Ben Solo himself, sauntered in. Kaida took a defensive stance, but resisted little as cuffs were put around her wrists. She gave Ben a questioning look, to which he responded with no facial expression.

Rather roughly, Kaida was escorted out. At the same time, her brother, Axel, was too, though he was showing a little more resistance than her. She looked at her younger twin (she was the oldest by fifteen minutes, and she would never let him forget it). Though twins, they didn't share all features. Aside from gender, and height, the Quinn twins differed through eye color: Kaida's was green, Axel's were brown. His hair was as dark as hers, but kept short. She noticed stubble growing on his face. Not surprising, as he grew facial hair awful fast.

Without verbal instruction, the twins were moved forward, escorted by Stormtroopers. Kaida's mind was rapid with thoughts. Can we take them? We've got the Force on our side. But no Jedi weaponry. And if Ben wasn't on their side...the escape would barely begin to start before he'd cut the two of them down.

As the twins were led through the detention halls, Kaida kept her mind occupied. True, she was worried about where she and Axel were going, but she didn't want to face that fear yet. Instead, she would rather focus on good memories, though how painful they'd be to think about now.

~*~

"One of these days, I'll meet them," Kaida said proudly to Ben. "It'd be cool, to meet two famous rebel fighters."

"Yeah." Ben's face looked a bit crestfallen, much to Kaida's confusion. "It's finding the time to do so."

Kaida understood—not really, but she could empathize—with how distant Ben seemed from his family. His parents were busy, even after the war with the Empire was done. Once a worker, always a worker.

"I think Mom would like you," Ben told her. Kaida smiled softly. "Not too sure about Dad."

"Well, I can always persuade him to like me."

"Jedi tricks don't work on him, Kai. I've dabbled to see."

Kaida looked around their small place. Yes, their, as in Kaida Quinn and Ben Solo shared a place together. Shared a bed together.

The two lovers were in bed, still awake, in the middle of the night. Clothes were discarded about the floor. It wasn't the first time the bedroom had looked so messy. Kaida remained atop Ben, her breathing back to normal. Her hands fingered his curly locks, and she leaned heavily against him. Despite the slight sweat from both bodies, she enjoyed the intimacy. He made her feel safe, like nothing could touch her. Like she was invincible.

"I've always wondered why the Jedi haven't tested this before," Kaida said out loud. "The whole having a relationship thing while training."

"Guess it failed." Ben shrugged.

Kaida found herself staring at Ben. "Maybe it failed with the wrong people."

"Do you think it will fail with us?"

Kaida's mouth parted a little. "No, I don't."

Ben watched as her hands left his hair and touched skin. "Here I thought I'd seen everything."

"Where is that coming from?"

"You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." He took one of Kaida's hands, kissing each finger. "And I have you all to myself."

The flattery softened Kaida, and she had never been one to accept it initially. She didn't like spotlight on her, she preferred to be as normal as the next Padawan or Knight in training. "And I you." A familiar crease landed on her forehead, and Ben noticed.

"You're worrying again, Kai."

"I don't worry. Worry isn't good."

"You worry about us. Kai, the old Code is that, old. It's not implemented."

"Have you looked at the official Jedi Code of this era?" she quipped to him.

"No."

"Then how can you say that?"

"We're invested, you and me. If you didn't want this in the first place..."

"I did. I do," she blurted. "Ben, I worry because what if the failed beta test is us? What if we're definitive proof that Jedi should not know love?"

"Don't doubt this. What we have, it's strong. It's unbreakable." Their foreheads touched. "And I will spend every day proving that to you. That we belong and work better as one."

"Sometimes you have the best way with words." Kaida smiled.

"Is that how I wooed you?"

"It's everything about you, Ben, not just your words."

~*~

The change in temperature and scenery pulled Kaida out of her thoughts. They were no longer inside, they were out in a rather bitter cold. An abundance of white and snow welcomed her, Axel, and her captors. With a rather hard shove forward, Kaida and Axel moved, multiple footprints creating a trail. Kaida wasn't sure what this was. What are we doing? What is this? She side-glanced to Axel, but she realized he was just as clueless as she was.

For ages, it seemed like they walked. All those steps without making any traction. It wasn't until the sun was setting and trees were becoming bigger that Kaida slowly began to piece the puzzle together. We're either going to be set free, or we're going to be executed. At this point, she was unsure of which would happen.

She hoped her and Axel lived.

**The flashbacks boy are they ship worthy.**