IX

IX

Kaida cursed under her breath as her foot tripped over a hidden, snow-covered branch on the ground. She wished the Stormtroopers did the same.

The sun was almost gone now, and time was wasting. What are we waiting for, the dark?

When the group suddenly got to a halt, Kaida and Axel were shoved forward, their knees hitting the chilly, snowy ground. A shudder rippled through Kaida. She looked to Axel, and she felt a twinge of fear as she felt a blaster barrel pushed against the back of her skull. Her eyes widened when she realized Axel was in the exact same scenario.

This was an execution, not a rescue plan. Kaida didn't want to admit that Axel was right.

Time slowed for her. She wasn't sure how this would go. Quickly? What if the trooper missed and she suffered a slow death? What did death even feel like? Well, who could I ask? The dead don't talk.

She decided the best thing for her was to lose herself in her head, to not worry about her final moments in this galaxy.

~*~

Kaida felt emptiness beside her instead of a warm body. Confused, she opened her sleepy eyes to find empty sheets where her arm was. Groaning, she sat up in bed, smoothing down her mussed hair. She felt Ben's presence near.

"Ben?" she called through the dark. She grabbed a robe from nearby and tied it. Her bare feet padded on the floor as she searched for him through the dark. She used the Force to get a feel of her surroundings, as her vision hadn't caught up yet.

She exited their bedroom and found him in front of a window, in loose pajama pants and no shirt. A low level of lust stirred in her, but it was the middle of the night, and Kaida was half awake as it was.

"What are you doing up so late?" she asked through a yawn. "Can't sleep?"

Ben didn't respond to her. She pulled the robe tighter around her as she went to his form, whose back was to her. She stood beside him, looking out the window like he was. All she saw was darkness, and stars. "What are you star gazing for?"

"Just...looking," he said absently.

Kaida looked up at him. "Benny, what is it?" She rarely used that name for him, except in rare times of concern. It was a name she one day blurted out, he disliked, and she would use sparingly after she bargained with him to let her use it.

"Just couldn't sleep."

"Why? What's the matter?" She pulled on him slightly to get him to face her. "If you won't tell me, then at least come back to bed so I can sleep."

"You can't sleep without me?" His chuckle sounded apathetic.

"It makes me feel better if I know you're near me. Like, near me, as in, beside me in bed." She tugged on his hand. "Come on." She was surprised he let her lead him back into the bedroom.

Kaida had them part ways at the bed, her going to her respective side. She removed the robe and slipped under the sheets. She watched him curiously as he got in with her. She scooted so that she could nestle into his side. She felt her body and his calm when a hand of his started to comb through her hair.

"Don't fall asleep on me," he muttered in the dark.

Kaida forced her half-closed eyes fully open. "I'm not going to. You can tell me what's wrong, Ben."