Prologue

"Are you sure that you want to do this, Syra?"

My mother always was the kind of person to not think once or twice before doing something, she rather thinks hundreds of times before she acts.

But this time, I appreciate her asking this, since it was a big step I am going to take.

Leaving your home to follow your dream is easier said than done.

I thought I reached my dream as I finished my school and became a travel agent, a dream I had since we first traveled to the Netherlands. Imagine being able to travel to a lot of countries, with paying the cheapest prices and even sometimes getting payed for this, it has to be a dream. So I worked hard and I reached it.

But as my boss offered me a job in Seoul, I had a new dream. I always was interested in meeting new people, getting in touch with new cultures, but moving to South Korea? I never believed I would leave my home. Even the bad memories, and when I say bad I mean awful, didn't make me leave. But the desire to get to know the unknown does.

Completely lost in my thoughts I nearly forget to answer her.

"It is OK mum. I will be fine. You know me and you know I survived a lot more than this."

"But South Korea is so far away. If you need help, nobody will be there to help you. You don't even speak the language. How will you be able to make it?"

"I will find a way. I always do."

And with this I turn around, take my suitcase and go to my gate. It will be a long flight there so I haven't slept for days, just to be able to sleep in the plane. But I am not able to sleep, too many thoughts are running through my mind. What if my mum is right? What if I am not able to make it? After a few minutes 30 hours without sleep make me so tired that I fall asleep to the sound of "The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something just like this" played on my smartphone.

"We will arrive in Seoul in a few minutes so please buckle your seatbelts and bring your seat in a vertical position." I wake up to the voice of the stewardess. I cannot believe I drifted off to sleep.

As I go out of the airport I cannot believe my eyes. So many unknown signs everywhere. Anxiety makes its way up to my mind. I am not able to read anything here, how should I find my way to my new apartment?

"Can I help you?" an unknown, deep voice made its way to my ear. It was a young man, maybe in his 20s who clearly noticed my fear of getting lost.

"Yes you can, I am looking for a bus to my new apartment, can you show me which I need to take?" "Of course I can. Just follow me."

I follow him through the big car park to the bus stops as a huge advertise caught my attention.

"Are you interested in Korean Pop music?"

"Not yet, but I think I will start listening to it since I live in Korea now."

"The band you can see on the picture is called 'Bangtan Sonyeondan'. Maybe you heard of them. They were recently mentioned in a lot of western TV shows and magazines. Maybe you rather know them as BTS."

"Yes I heard of them."

"Come on, your bus arrived."