Chapter 2: You Ain't See Me Then

Brandon
"We just waiting on one more order" my sou chef said as I moved my ass to complete the last ticket for the lunch rush.
"I got you right here" I handed off a lobster salad as I exhaled. No matter how many times I stood on this kitchen sweatin my ass off working my magic, I still something thought I would never finish. I made it home last night around 11:30pm and just went straight to sleep. Working on my feet for 12 hours, waiting on the bus and checking on my moms had me tired as shit. But it was all good. I was living and making money the best way I knew how.
"Aye B Imma go on break" Mike was my right hand man in the kitchen and even though I was head chef, I couldn't do any of this without him.
"That's cool" I said wiping my face.
"You want anything" he asked as I started washing dishes. He never left me hanging.
"Nah. I'm straight" I nodded as he dapped me up. He went through the backdoor as I cleaned the kitchen. I made sure the flattop was clean. The oven was wiped down. The prep table was free of anything we ain't need for the dinner service and the floor were cleaned.
"Damn" I said feeling more sweat form on my forehead. I had 1 hour to take a break and prep for the next half of my day. It was hard work but somebody had to do it.
______________________________
Andrea
"I hope you know I hate you" I said to Stacy as I clocked in. Last night she asked me to switch shifts with her because she was going on yet another date. I hated Thursday nights.
"I owe you girl. I promise" she said as I gave her a mean eye roll.
"Stacy you know I hate working Thursday nights. It's always crowded especially in the restaurant. I'm not in the mood" I complained tossing my hair in a neat bun. Thursday nights at the hotel offered half off on rooms and half off on drinks. Everybody and their mother came in.
"Dre it's just one night. Besides Brandon is working tonight too" she said as I threw my pen at her. Did she fail to remember what happened?
"Thanks to you he hates me" I thought about what my mother said and I desperately tried apologizing countless times but he didn't want to even hear a word that came out of my mouth. It was so bad that yesterday Stacy and I got in the elevator with him and when I said hello he pretended I wasn't even there. It was like I was invisible.
"Uh let's not forget those words that came out your pretty little mouth Dre. I had nothing to do with it. And besides he still likes me. He brought me muffins and fruit this morning" she said as I gasped.
"That's not fair. How come you were involved but still get special treatment? Now I actually have to make my own breakfast and lunch" Brandon use to always bring us food from the kitchen. I didn't realize how much that meant to me until I didn't have that luxury anymore. And the terrible part about it is sometimes I didn't say thank you. It was something I expected on a daily because I knew he had a crush on me. What kind of person was I?
"I don't know what to tell you girl but I have a date so call you later and thanks again" she kissed my cheek as she dashed out the door. I went to my desk and just sat there. Ever since that humiliating day with Brandon I started to actually think about what kind of person I really was. Ungrateful. Judgmental. Arrogant. And just plain stuck up for no reason. How could I be so detached from my own self? I could check everyone around for being just that but it took this to show me who I really was.
"Ms. Simmons" I jumped seeing one of the valets at the door knocking me out my thoughts.
"What you need sweetie?" I said standing up.
"I kinda dented one of the cars" he said as I raised my arched eyebrow.
"John" I said folding my arms. They always came to me to solve everything.
"Ms. Simmons I swear I didn't see that wall. I was reversing and hit it. It's not even that bad" he said as I shook my head.
"I hope the owner hasn't seen it yet" I said grabbing my glasses walking out. I only wore them when I needed to see something closely and this I had to see.
"That's the other thing. He's outside" he said as I wanted to ring his neck. I could hear a man yelling all the way inside. I took a deep breath and put my boss hat on.
"John outside now" I said opening the door.
"What kind of hotel hires valet drivers who can't even drive. Look at my brand new Mercedes. Do you know how much this car was?" it was gonna be one of those "special" customers.
"Hi Mr.-" I said extending my hand to the irate man. He was a black man. Looked about early 30's with a clean bald head.
"Mr. Pryce and who are you?" He said shaking my hand.
"My name is Andrea and I'm one of the managers here. I've been informed of the incident that happened to your car and first I would like to personally apologize. John is an excellent driver but today he made a mistake" I always had the side of my staff.
"A mistake? Look at this! This is a 2018. I waited 2 weeks for this car and I paid cash." He bragged as I nodded. I could barely see the dent but it was his property so if he wanted to angry he had a right too but he was overreacting in my opinion.
"And Mr. Pryce I completely understand. The hotel will compensate you for any repairs you need to have done. I will assure you-" I was rudely interrupted in the middle of my sentence.
"Compensated? No I want that thug fired. How did he even get a job on this side of town? He's more of a liability in my opinion" he said taking me off guard.
"Mr. Pryce I get that your upset but your out of line right now and I'm really trying my best to assist you but I will not allow you to insult my staff. Now do you want the compensation because I can go back inside" I said trying to keep my cool. John was a 19 year old young man who just graduated from high school. He got into some trouble in his life and if Brandon didn't recommend him he would still be out in the streets. He was a black male trying to do right.
"I'm the customer. He shouldn't even matter at this point. Oh and I should check my car to make sure everything still there" he said as I chuckled.
"Now your saying he's a thief. Let me guess since he's young and black you think he steals too right." I said having enough
"Ms. Simmons don't even argue with him" John said as I wasn't having it.
"Oh I'm not arguing. It kills me when black people gets to a certain level in life and think their better than he rest of us. So what your car has a dent a small one at that but did you once ask was he okay? No. Your too worried about a damn car. Now he said he was sorry. Unless you're looking for more than that I seriously suggest you get into your 2018 Mercedes and leave" I said giving him his keys.
"Is this-" he started as I walked back inside.
"Have a nice day Mr. Pryce and thanks for staying at the Omni" I said over it. I kept it professional when I had too but I didn't like when people passed judgment for the color of your skin especially when it was just like theirs. People like that needed to be corrected.
"Thanks for having my back Ms. Simmons" John said as I rubbed his back.
"Don't thank me. Just don't back into no more walls and were good" I said as he laughed.
"I think I can do that" he said as I let him go back to work. Everyone made mistakes sometimes. I said to myself. You can definitely say that again.
____________________________
Brandon
"Zoe how we doing on that pasta" I said across the kitchen making my sauce. Dinner service was going smooth and we was nearing the end of the night.
"It don't taste right. I missing something" he said as I made my way through the crowded kitchen. Although it was one of the busiest nights I still made sure to check on my cooks. They kept me going so I was goin do the same for them.
"You put salt in here" I said getting a tasting spoon.
"Yeah it just don't have that flavor" he said looking defeated. Zoe was young and use to hustle out in the neighborhood I live around. One day I convinced him to come cook wit me in the kitchen and he was hooked. Even though he wasn't my son or brother or family, I couldn't see another black man lose his life or freedom to the streets. That wasn't where it was at.
"That's cause you missing the secret ingredient. Sugar" I said sprinkling some sugar in the pot.
"In tomato sauce?" He said as I laughed
"Yeah man. Taste it now?" I gave him a spoon as he shook his head.
"Imma give you your props. You right B" he said as I patted his back.
"It's all good. Now you ready to rock and roll Zoe. Plate that up man" I said going back to my station. We busted through the last couple tables as the ticket machine came to a complete stop. The night was over.
"Bring it in yall" I said as the whole kitchen stood around me.
"Yall did good today. Everybody worked together and we got shit done. I know I say it all the time but I appreciate all yall. Keep it up" I made it my business to let them know I was thankful for what they doing. They could've been anywhere but they came to work every day with a smile on their face. Zoe had a daughter who had to take care of which wasn't easy for him but he never complained. Mike just buried his father 2 weeks ago but bounced back with a positive outlook on life which I loved. Jeremy was my dishwasher and the money he made didn't always support his wife 2 kids and mother who lived in one house but he still made the best of it. Everyone didn't have family who support them so we became a big family. Being around them made me appreciate my hustle. No I wasn't rich but I had everything I needed. Yeah I wanted a lot of shit but what God blessed me wit was working for me. I ain't never sweat the small shit. I change the things that bothered if I had control over it. Anything else the man upstairs had it covered.
"See yall tomorrow. Love all yall" I said as we got ready to leave. I was always the first one there and the last one to leave. I shut off the lights ready to come back tomorrow to do it all over again.
_____________________________
Andrea
"I should get some ice cream" I tossed my purse in my back seat thankful that it was my time to go home. I was off tomorrow and tonight started my weekend.
"Damn I need gas" I said staring my car. I turned the radio on as I pulled out the parking garage. I was gonna get some ice cream get some gas and go home. My comfy bed was calling my name.
"Never meant to cause you no pain. I just wanna go to being the same. Well I. Only wanna make things right. Before you walk out my life" I sang as the night breeze blew on my skin. I was a block away from the hotel when I saw something that caught my eye.
"Brandon" I said to myself seeing him sitting at the bus stop. Everyone in the kitchen left an hour ago. I looked at my clock and gasped.
"It's almost midnight and he's out here alone" I said watching from across the street. What were the odds of me seeing him on a night a usually don't work. Weird I know. I drove and made a u turn as I pulled up right in front.
"Wanna ride" I said nicely. He took one look inside seeing who I was and sat right back down.
"Thank you but I'm good" he put his earphones back in as I sighed. He really wanted nothing to do with me.
"Ok" I said feeling like I made enough of a fool of myself already. It was only so many times I was gonna say sorry and be nice. I went to pull off but something stopped me. I just kept hearing my mothers voice.
"Only you ma. Only you." I said taking the keys out the ignition. I relaxed and stepped out the car. This was gonna be my last and final try. After this I would just have to accept whatever he says to me.

Brandon
"What the hell is she doing?" I wasn't tryna look but she parked her car right where the bus picked me up from. I was going to be pissed if the next bus drive past me cause of her.
"Can you move your car please" I asked politely. Out of no where she sat next to me on the bench. What the fuck was she up to?
"Look Brandon I know you hate me. And I know I'm the last person you wanna see now but I need you to forgive me" she said as I looked past her.
"Can you please move your car" I repeated. I ain't wanna hear nothing else she had to say.
"Did you hear anything I just said" she thought that was supposed to move me.
"And you ain't hear what I said. You know what don't even trip." I got my stuff to walk to the next bus stop not too far from this one. I couldn't miss my bus.
"Brandon" she yelled as I kept walking. I turned my music up sitting down. But not even a minute later who do I see walking towards me.
"Man come on" I mumbled as she yet again sat down. I just looked straight pretending she wasn't there.
"You know what Brandon this fucked up. I come over here to be nice and you ignore me. Grow up" I heard her say as I took my earphones out. She wanted to talk well let's do it then.
"You wanna know what's fucked up. Out of everything I ever did to try and get you to even notice me this the only time you ever said one word to me. Valentine's Day last year I sent you flowers because you looked sad but nah you ain't say shit to me. I let that go. Your birthday last month I made you a cake but you walked right past me on mines like I was nobody. I let that go. Every day since I worked at that restaurant I stopped my thing to come to your desk and give you shit we don't even serve and you don't even smile at me. When your car had that flat in January I changed your tire hoping you would treat me different but nothing. When they made you a manager I told you I was happy for you cause you work hard and deserved it but when they made me head chef everyone congratulated me but you. So when you say ignore baby girl look in the mirror. Ever since I saw you I thought you the most beautiful woman I ever seen but you got more unattractive to me because of the stuff you do. I know I don't have money like you probably use to but I have a roof over my head and clothes on my back that I'm proud of. And if you asked you would know I did have a car but my mother got hurt at work so I gave her mines and I take 3 to 4 buses a day so she comfortable and taken care of. I been saving to get a new car but all my money I make go to her or bills But hey I'm not your type so fuck it. Im only good when you need something. I use to think that I just caught you on bad days but hearing you that day say what you said about me hit my ass hard. I thought I could eventually get your attention but I was fooling myself. No love lost" I got all that off my chest as she just sat there looking stupid.
"Omg....I ....I didn't know." She said as I saw my bus.
"You ain't ask but don't trip. Get back in your car and go home. My ride just pulled up" the bus doors opened as I stepped on. I sat down as it drove away. It felt good getting that off my chest. Now we could dead this whole thing.
_____________________________
Andrea
I walked in my house like a zombie. Brandon's words hit me so hard they stung. My heart literally started to ache as I threw myself on the bed.
"I'm a horrible person" I was no better than the guy screaming and complaining about his car earlier. He judged John just like I did Brandon. That birthday cake he said he made for me was my favorite color pink and chocolate inside. It was so good and instead of saying thank you like I should've did I paid more attention to my plans after I got off work to celebrate. On Valentine's Day I was so excited to get flowers thinking it was from someone special but when I read the card I saw Brandon's name with a note that said Your too beautiful to not get anything today. Just know I thought about you and tossed them. That day my tire got flat I was supposed to be going on a date with an old friend but I was so upset my tire blew I didn't even acknowledge him for stepping in even through he had other things to do. What's crazy was that I didn't even know he was head chef! And to add a cherry on top of this already shitty situation I made countless jokes about him having no car on several occasions when he gave it to his mother who needed it more than he did. All this time I looked past the one person who noticed me no matter what. When I was upset he would ask could he do anything but yet and still I dissed him. He was human just like me and I knew I hurt him by not only what I said but my actions. The feeling I had right now was unimaginable. Money didn't make you more or less than a man but here I was making that the focus of my life. I was a black women demeaning a black man and had to the nerve to say at times there are no good black men. I couldn't do anything but cry. I felt so broken and disgusting with myself. I grabbed my phone hitting the one number who I always ran too.
"Baby what's wrong. It's 1 in the morning" my mothers raspy voice said into the phone. She always picked up for me.
"Mommy I need you to pray for me" I said trying to stop the tears from running down my face.
"Precious mommy will love to pray for you" she said as I got my knees asking for God to forgive me and make me new again. I didn't want the old me for another second.